Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

'99 Montero suddenly won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by latham
Hm, so when the starter was short circuit started it did not make the engine do anything. No sound no activity no n I t hing.
If your starter does not react to shorting out the 12v on its terminal, there is a problem with the wire that supplies 12 v. to starter or a ground wire on the battery. Check the voltage on it at the starter, then do a voltage drop test on it with the starter terminal shorted out. Also, check the ground wire at the battery. To me it sounds like one of those problems. Also, it would not hurt to load test your battery.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:58 PM
Default finally got it started but now I think it's the flywheel?! You wouldn't belive how I

So, finally got it started by replacing the starter again(I don't think it was bad in the beginning but ended up getting ruined) and then noticed the fuse to the theft system was blown. Everytime I put a new one in it would trigger the alarm and I could not disarm it by the usual key inserted and then it would blow the fuse. After trying all different kinds of combination finally what worked was disconnecting the black battery wire, putting the new fuse in, turning the key to on, re-connecting the negative to the battery , and then cranked it and IT STARTED! I couldn't believe it! All that for nothing! Although, it never stayed perfect. The key now was signaling the starter but it sounded like it just wasn't catching. But it would start every 3 times or so. It worked like this abut 10 times but now it won't catch at all. Any ideas? Bendix not extending enough? Flywheel damaged? Help! About to take it to a mechanic but I'm getting quoted $1400 to change the fly wheel. And it would total the car, really bc of the additional oil leak. Any ideas why this isn't catching? Could it be a voltage issue not allowing the bendix to engage?
Originally Posted by latham
This is a real stumper:
Situation: Car was turned off. About a minuet later went to start it and no sound except a very small click about a second after from the steering column. All lights and sounds still come on

Factors: *the car has a substantial oil leak making it so a lot of the engine has oil sprayed on it.
*The car has a small glitch that sometimes when you go to remove the key it doesn't release it and you have to step on the brake and, push the button on the shifter to get the key to finish turning back to release.
*Every once in a while I could feel a slight hesitation when switching to next gear.

What has been tried:
* tried starting it in neutral and in drive- nothing
*the battery has been checked. Tested and it was good (at that point 2 wks ago) and tried to jump it 2 different times with 2 different jumper cables. Examined the battery connectors and wires as best as I could see -they look good.
*looked at fuses- all looked fine
*short circuit started the starter- worked but didn't start car.
*had a new key made- no change
*changed the key ignition- no change
* (but went ahead and...) changed out the starter with a new one. - no change.
*had both starters tested- both worked with the old one not as strong as the new one. (As expected) Put the old one back on.
*changed a broken turn signal bulb (?someone said that online)
*changed out the camshaft angle sensor- no change. (At this point tried the 2nd jump)
*went home and cried a little, then prayed- no change
I feel like it's something btwn the key and starter bc the starter is not even starting. I think it might just be time to take it in to a diagnostic machine and machanic. Possibility that the problem is in the flywheel? Unless there is a person reading this that is half genius and half engine whisperer.
Thanks,
A desperate girl in new orleans that just made her last car payment a few days before it broke. (Seriously, I did.)

Old 05-06-2016, 05:41 PM

Did you look at the flywheel when you had the starter out? If not - do it now. I'm sure third time pulling the starter will be even easier than before.