Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

ABS Light on and noise when the engine is off

Old 04-21-2007, 02:19 AM
Default ABS Light on and noise when the engine is off

I have a 94 Montero SR 3.5L.I haveabout 118K miles onit. I have two issues:

1) The ABS light is always on. The fusable link for ABS light is fine. I installed the brand new one recently.
2)Evenafter I turn off the engine, I hear the strange noise coming from under the hood. It seems thatsomethinglike a motor is running. Because of this, the battery went dead a couple of times. In order to preventthe battery from draining out completely whenever I park, I installed a bettery disconnect device and disconnect the battery. This is a temporary fix. And I would like to find the permanent fix.

Both the ABS light and noise problems started at the same time. So I believe both issues are related.

Here are the background information about these issues. First time I encountered these issues was over one month ago when I was about to leave for work in the morning but could not becausethe battery was dead.I tried to charge the battery using the battery charger. But, as soon as the battery got charged a little bit, I hear the noise (motor-like) under the hood. Eventually, I got no electricity no matter how much the I tried to charge the battery. I had a towing truck that morning. A week later, the owner of the garagetold me that hediscovered lots of burntwires and some fuses blown including the one forABS light.For the first couple of weeks after he replaced wires and claim he fixed, everything was fine.But after that, Istarted having the problems described in the symptom 1 & 2 above.

I appreciate if someone can help me on this.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Default RE: ABS Light on and noise when the engine is off

Hey,
As for the ABS light it could be anything in the ABS system. If it was the link you could probably have the montero scanned for codes. Then cleared to see if the link was the problem.(most parts places will scan it for you)
The running motor noise sounds like the power antena motor. Usualy if the power antena (mast) is broken the motor will only run for 5 to 10 seconds and then shut off. It has some type of limit switch. Ifthe switchis broken. I would first pull a fuse or get a new mast ($20.00+- @ dealer).
hope this helps, john

Old 05-20-2007, 04:42 PM

Thanks for your advice.Actually,a couple of weeks ago I located the source of the noise which wasthe ABS montor. So I disconnected the power connector. You mean the parts store like Adanced Autopart will scanfor codes?

Old 05-20-2007, 06:11 PM

Hey,
Yea most larger chain "parts stores" do it. I use "Knechts", They are in the North West.
john