Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Allen Bolts for Locking Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Default Allen Bolts for Locking Hubs

I started replacing my auto locking hubs with some Rugged Ridge manual locking hubs. I have two allen bolts that are stripped and won't come off. I know how to extract them, but need to have replacements ready to put back.

Anyone know where I can find what the right size bolts on-line?
I'm in Maryville, TN and will be checking with pick-a-part places around here also to see if I can locate a couple of these.

Any help locating these would be greatly appreciated.

1990 Montero V6 3.0L 5spd.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:53 PM

how bout pull a good one and measure.
Id expect 3/8 unf thread. Ish.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:38 AM

Thank you for that idea Akzle.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:13 AM

Cool...

Old 01-23-2015, 06:31 PM

I was able to locate a set of replacement bolts from Pull-A-Part in Knoxville, TN. After some more investigating it turns out that the bolts are actually Torx T-50 heads. and not 8mm allen bolts like I thought.

After three applications of PB Blaster, trying a propane torch and drilling down the core of the bolt, I have broken off a reverse thread extractor inside the bolt shaft. My
Lisle 62110 4-Piece Stripped Screw Extractor Set Lisle 62110 4-Piece Stripped Screw Extractor Set
from Amazon arrived today. I'll see how that works.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:34 AM

Let us know on the forum

Old 01-26-2015, 11:48 AM

What a pain. When you get them out you may want to run a thread chaser in and out to remove any burrs, rust and anything that may be stuck those old threads.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:11 AM
Default Patial Success

Thanks. That's good advice. Will do.

Well the saga continues. I was able to remove one of the two stripped bolts using the torx extractor, but that one with the reverse screw extractor broken off in it will not bite. I am not able to drill into it deep enough for the torx extactor to get a good hold.

Are there any drill bits that anyone can recommend for drilling through hardened metal like what is now an extractor cored bolt?

Old 02-03-2015, 12:56 PM

Take it to a machine shop, You will waste your money on expensive bits and wasted time also. For 20 bucks I am happy to take it to someone that will have it done in 5 Min.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:13 AM

I'm getting to that point too 2001Mitch3.5XS. My wife's been saying that from day one.

A friend of mine suggested slotting the head with a Dremel cutting disk (letting me borrow his) and trying to use some metal as a pry bar. I think this one has me beat I think. There are quite a few shops around that could probably help me with this. I'll just suck it up, take it to one, pay the $$ and move one with the hub replacement.

Thanks for injecting some common sense back into my approach to resolving this.

Quick Reply: Allen Bolts for Locking Hubs