Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

another montero sport timing question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 12:25 PM
Default another montero sport timing question

okay folks, I really need your advice, I have completed 5 timing belt installs in my young 53 year old life

here's my question, I have completed the timing belt install with the ALL three timing marks lined up. however, when I apply 39 inch lbs. (4.4 Nm) to the
timing belt tensioner my (passenger size) cam gear rotates to the left. I rotate the engine 2-3x and check the marks again and the passenger size marks are off. my crank timing marks and driver side marks are on the money.
what am I doing wrong, PLEASE HELP!

thanks in advance,
M

Attached Thumbnails another montero sport timing question-img_4087.jpg   another montero sport timing question-img_4083.jpg  
Old 03-07-2016, 05:49 PM

I think you are OK there. However, I'd like a clarification on your timing belt tension procedure. When you first line up the marks, do you turn the crankshaft (before fully tesioning the belt)? That will take out any possible slack out of the belt. If not, you need to do that - rotate crankshaft twice (camshafts will rotate once). Make sure you do not go backwards at all, otherwise you have to run another two rotations.
After checking that the marks are lined up, then you tension the pulley. Also, do you use the little tensioning tool for the pulley? Because the eccentric on tensioner pulley needs to be set first and then the holding bolt fastened.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:57 PM

Thank you Hunter for your reply!

yeah, I agree, I think I'll be okay. I stopped by my local dealer today and the head engine builder also said it will be fine.

however, Yes sir, I per-tensioned the belt made two full rotations to remove the slack. tensioned the pulley to factory specs and locked down the center bolt.

another question, what thermostat should I install, OEM ?

Old 03-07-2016, 08:50 PM

Personally I like to stick with OEM. But more importantly, make sure the rating is the same as OEM. Many aftermarket dealers offer ones with different temperature ratings. I'd definitely stay away from that.