Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Anti-Lock Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Default Anti-Lock Brake Light

I have a 95 montero sr that always has the antilock brake light on. I have bled the brakes and dont know what else to do. I use to be able to push the brakes hard with engine off and the light would go out but now i cant get it to go off. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Banned
Default RE: Anti-Lock Brake Light

There is a sensor that is out. Either that or it is just dirty. I dont exactly know where the sensor is though

Old 01-14-2007, 10:21 PM

I have checked all the wiring and havent been able to find out which sensor. Is there a way to remove the wheel sensors without removing the rotors? If i disconnect (for troubleshooting) the bad sensor (and jump the wire) while the light go out?

Old 01-15-2007, 12:32 AM

If you're going to work on your ABS based purely on knowledge gained here, I'd recommend at least purchasing an original Mitsu Factory Service Manual (not a haynes/chilton, mitchell, or other 3rd party version) for more accurate details on doing what needs to be done. The haynes/chilton are not usually as complete/accurate and the mitchell and other manuals are usually designed for mechanic's that already have training so they are also not as detailed as the factory service manual.

HTH.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:17 AM

When was the last time you checked the emergency brake pads?
Does your Montero have a seperate warning light for the brakes?

Old 01-17-2007, 08:59 PM

i dont think i have ever checked or replaced rear pads only disk pads. The emergency brake has its own light.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:02 PM

The emergency brake light (one that comes on when you pull up on the brake) is nothing more than a switch on your E-Brake lever. It's also triggered if your Brake fluid goes too low by a switch in the brake fluid reservoir in the engine bay.

At least that's the way it is on most my other vehicles. I suspect the ABS system was added on top of your existing system so what I've described above should still apply but perhaps others who are "Brake System Guru's" can chime in.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:38 AM

When i was backing down a steep hill my antilock brakes started working and the light went out finally. Any idea what this has to do with ( backing down while braking). I know old school vehicles adjusted the brakes when you went in reverse.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:36 PM

check for a vaccum leak. They have the system tied into the main vacum system somehow.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:37 PM

an ABS light signifies only one thing.. A problem with the ABS. You will need to retrieve the ABS code before you can beging proper diagnosis.

it will not be from a vacuum leak, worn out brake pads, or anything like that.

Quick Reply: Anti-Lock Brake Light