Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Any high mile Montys out there??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 04:54 PM

Mine is a 1996 LS with 200k. Really reliable and also like the looks of it.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by burdturger
Dude you are seriously drinking too much kool aid. ALL MONTEROS are prone to roll overs. THe only reason I've chimed in is because you said that your not a fan of montero sports because there cramped and prone to roll over "issies" brought to light by consumer reports. You are in fact incorrect as the report is on Monteros not the Sports. The report came out after testing the 2001 model that's why they are referencing the 2001 model. Pull up the NHTSA safety ratings on any year of montero or montero sport and see how well they rank for roll overs.
I took your advice and checked it out. MY 2003 Montero 3.8L V6 gets a 5 star rollover rating from NHTSA as pointed out by aol autos. Meanwhile the 2003 Montero Sport Gets a 2 star rating from NHTSA.

2003 Mitsubishi Montero XLS 4x4

2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Utility Sport Limited 4WD Safety Ratings, 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Prices & NHTSA Vehicle Safety Ratings | NADAguides

Old 03-03-2013, 02:20 AM

I have an '01 Montero Limited with 157k (all miles are mine). Runs like a dream. As far as the rollover issues with Monteros it is a total BS. First of all if you flip down the driver side visor, you'll notice a sticker stating that this is not a race car and you should avoid sudden maneuvers at high speed. Anyone driving 50 mph and jerking a steering wheel 3/4 turn back and forth should know that this is stupid and is an invitation to death. Also, in the 12 years of owning my Monty, I have seen many other cars and trucks on their roofs off the road. Never seen a Monty in the ditch. As far as the Left Eye lady crash goes, she did not die from the car rolling over. She died because she was not wearing a seat belt and was thrown out of the window. It's a tragic loss, but you've got to take responsibility for your actions.
I must say when I test drove my Montero, I found it to be more stable than Montero Sport. Over the years i had a chance to compare it to many other vehicles - Blazer, Explorer, various pickup trucks. Monty is more surefooted and stable than many other SUVs out there. I would buy another one in a flash. The only thing I wish is that I could get a diesel model. I may have to got to Mexico some day to get me one

Old 03-04-2013, 09:47 AM

Have to chime in here - not a single roll-over related death involving full size Monty reported in the US since the Consumer Reports "unaccepatable" rating in 2001. The car has to be driven responsibly as any vehicle with high center of gravity.

Back on track for the thread - my 2001 Limited has just rolled over 110,000 miles - no issues. Great SAFE car.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Default 250K and its time to rebuild the engine.

Not because it runs bad in fact it still runs hard and strong but it is burning oil and won't pass smog in Ca. Any more. I find no need to replace it cause it still is the quiet and rattle free even off road. Love it cause its built with quality in mind.
Hope to get another 250K out of it.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Thumbs up

1999 Montero with 170k. Stock mutiple CD changer sometimes work...other than that, my Monty is very reliable.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:34 AM

I've got a 2003 Montero with 86,000 miles on it.
Not exactly high mileage but it's got the age on it.

I haven't had any mechanical problems with it thus far, the A/C compressor has sounded like it's ready to die for about 5 years but so far it still runs fine. Haven't had to change the serpentine belt yet change the oil every 3,000 mile as well as the get the diffs, coolant, transmission serviced every 35,000 miles. One thing I have to say is ticking me off is that every time I go to get the alignment done they say the rear toe is frozen so I have to take it to Mitsubishi to get them to unfreeze it, costs me an additional $100 and they always say "if we can't get it unfrozen or break it, it can run $1000 to cut out the bolt and weld in a new one. I'm sorry, what nonsense is that? This problem happened when I had it up in MA AND when I had it down in SC so the saltiness of the roads make no difference, still trying to figure out if I'm just getting thrown for a loop and it's a way for the alignment people to not to their job while at the same time giving Mitsubishi some money.

EDIT: Oh yea, I have noticed a slight oil smell when the car comes to a stop after being on the road. Never smell it when the car is moving and only smell it through the A/C vents, that started happening at 84,000 miles and many people have told me it's just my car being old and that I could replace something in the engine if I wanted but leaving it as is wouldn't cause additional problems.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:57 AM

I too had that oil smell. Turned out to be cracked exhaust manifolds.found aftermarket manifold for right side cause they told me it was a common problem. As far as the left side goes not so much. Had to find a used one from a newer model and make a mod to the heat shield to accomidate the plug the new manifold had.Engine is now rebuilt and Monty is getting a new interior. I am replacing the cracked leather with cloth.New life at 251000 miles.

Last edited by Calijim; 04-11-2013 at 03:59 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:16 PM

I have a 2000 Montero sport xls with 237,000 miles on it.
No major problems, just routine maintenance.
Very happy with this car.
Bob

Old 04-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Thumbs up 2000 Montero Sport

I bought the Montero Sport new and it has treated me well. I have 188,000 on it now. It runs great but right now Im having a issue getting a inspection due to 2 codes coming up from the Service Engine Light. Plan on keeping well past 200,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Any high mile Montys out there??