Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

any issues with universal oxygen sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Default any issues with universal oxygen sensor?

03 montero limited - I recently replaced an upstream o2 oxygen sensor due to throwing CEL during driving. The heater element did test bad so I knew it was time to replace. Instead of the $300 OEM sensor, I bought a Bosch universal. Twice since replacing (4 days) Ive gotten 2 CELs - both being P0300 - multiple misfire code. A few sites I checked says thats it generic and that it could be a number of things including oxygen sensor. I checked all the wires around the nstall to verify that I did not bump something loose. All looks good. Im thinking if I continue getting this code, Ill suck it up and get the OEM 02 sensor. Ive nver had this CEL before so Im thinking that its strongly the sensor.

Anyone with experience with this or trouble with universal sensors? I thought all o2 sensors were equivalent, bouncing btw 0-1 volt depending on the exhaust gas....

Old 08-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Default RE: any issues with universal oxygen sensor?

I have replaced all of my O2 sensors with aftermarket sensors. I know several of them were Bosch. I have never had a problem with them on my 99 LTD with 200K miles on it.

Dave Christensen

Old 08-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Default RE: any issues with universal oxygen sensor?

Thanks for the info Dave. I mapped the bosch sensors and they arent quite like the OEM. THey have differernt heaters in them so they dont heat up as fast as OEM. I ended up returning the BOsch universal and replacing with a Denso aftermarket and my CELs went away. I wouldnt recommend anyone going to a universal o2, but if you you might get lucky and it will work while saving you a bunch of money. After all the work of replacing the sensor a few times and eventually having to put the denso OEM unit back in, I dont think Ill ever go universal again....

see
http://tinyurl.com/6rzl86