Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Auto Tensioner pully and belt ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Default Auto Tensioner pully and belt ?

2001 FULL size Montero XLS 74000 miles 3.5 6g74
hello everybody
I got a kinda funny story. I had been hearing a really bad screeching noise coming from one of the pulleys or the auto-tensioner for the serpentine drive belt for a little over a week. I really couldn't check it out at the time (no garage and the weather here in Indianapolis is horrible). Last week at 6:00am I am on my way to work with the screeching louder then ever, then I hear a clunk then the noise stops. I think GREAT, then the alt, batt, and an assortment of other lights came on. So I turn her around and parked it. It was still dark so I couldn't do anything. So a couple of days later I pop the hood and found the Auto Tensioner pulley laying on the frame housing.
I got a good deal on the Auto ten.. for 117.00 from the dealer, got a belt from NAPA for 25.00. Now the problem and question is the belt diagram. I got the A.T. on but the belt seems to be to small to go around everything. I have searched and searched for a diagram but all I am coming up with are the ones for Montero Sports that have two or three belts. I have tried Napa, O riellys, and pepboys. Autozone has a diagram but its for the 3.8 engine. The dealers act like I am asking for Top secrets of car sales or they act like they almost never heard of a Full size Montero with a 3.5. Am I the only one to ask this lately? Do I need to remove the top grooved pulley to install the belt ?
Any help I be greatly appreciated
Thanks Brian

Old 02-26-2010, 02:17 AM

if no one has answered by morning i will go take a pic, and diagram.