Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Bad driver side wheel bearingPlease read need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Unhappy Bad driver side wheel bearingPlease read need help asap

Hello all

I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5 4wd 133xxx miles.

I looked trough the first 10 pages here to find help for what I am about to ask but did not see anything in the thread headings unfortunately.

The front driver side wheel bearing is shot on my montero. It wobbles in and out bad and when you drive it it seems to grind and pop very loudly once in awhile when making turns to the right. It sounds like the wheel locks up for a instant and then releases once in a while. Is it even possible for a wheel to lock up because of a failing wheel bearing? It scares the heck out of you when it does this.

My question is, would I be able to remove the CV axel on the driver side so I can access the four bolts that hold the hub/bearing assembly? The teeth on the wheel speed sensor prevent this when the CV axle is installed. I have already removed the brakes/CV shaft nut/rotor/ and pressed free the CV shaft from hub also soaked all with penetrant. I have a slide hammer to try and remove it. It looks like this should be possible but I wanted to ask those who know more about these vehicles.

Thank-you for anyone who can help me with more info please. I have the truck torn down in the garage now. Need to get her fixed hopefully this weekend so I can go to work monday. I was just hoping to get the hub out by removing just the CV axel and leaving the hub installed if possible.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:57 PM

I recall it was easier to remove the entire knuckle assembly plus the hub. This way the speed sensor ring will stay on the axle and not interfere with the hub removal. To remove the knuckle you need to disconnect upper and lower ball joints. In the past I actually just removed 3 bolts holding the body of the ball joint to suspension components instead of pressing the ball joints out. There are 3 small bolts on the upper ball joint and 3 large bolts (with nuts) holding the bottom ball joint. You will need to remove the steering tie-rod end. That one I did press out, so that it does not affect wheel alignment after re-assembly.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD
I recall it was easier to remove the entire knuckle assembly plus the hub. This way the speed sensor ring will stay on the axle and not interfere with the hub removal. To remove the knuckle you need to disconnect upper and lower ball joints. In the past I actually just removed 3 bolts holding the body of the ball joint to suspension components instead of pressing the ball joints out. There are 3 small bolts on the upper ball joint and 3 large bolts (with nuts) holding the bottom ball joint. You will need to remove the steering tie-rod end. That one I did press out, so that it does not affect wheel alignment after re-assembly.
I hope this helps. Good luck.
That does help! Thank-you soo very much HunterD. I am going to try that this morning.

I tried taking the one bolt out to release the wheel speed sensor and it broke off unfortunatly. The sensor is still siezed in its hole. Cant use heat here or i will melt it. Is there a trick for this or just spray with penetrant trying to wiggle it gently and hope for the best?

Old 10-04-2015, 01:11 AM

Yes, just patience and wiggling it out. It will come out. If your broken bolt thread sticks out through mounting hole it will be more difficult because your range of motion is smaller. If the worst case you can squash the sensor with the pliers or vise grips to get some motion on it and then put in a new replacement.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:26 PM

The bolt snapped off flush and it was seized tight even though it seemed to move back and forth barely but that was just the metal fatiguing to inevitable breakage. Must be the salt on the roads up here in winter maybe? Anyways, I snapped the sensor. Had to do it as it was not moving even while patiently trying to twist it back and forth. Thank-you for your replies

Last edited by orlando69; 10-28-2015 at 07:31 PM.