Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Battery installed backwards :/

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:12 PM
Default Battery installed backwards :/

Kind of embarrassing but I accidentally installed my battery backwards. I have replaced the 100amp fuse as well as the fuel relay and control module in the bottom right side of the passenger footwell and the truck is running now. However, the SRS light is constantly on now as well as the check engine light (p1600 code). The truck is very sluggish now on takeoff from a stopped position. Any suggestions?

Old 07-22-2015, 06:30 PM

It is very likely that you had damaged PCM or some other electronic component. The good book says if the code is present - replace PCM. I would first test the throttle actuator and wiring, then if all checks out test and replace PCM. Check ALL fuses, if you are you are lucky, perhaps it is something is simple like that.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:36 PM

Ok thanks I'll try those things. I realize how elementary this mistake is so I appreciate the response.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:55 PM

If I'm able to find a PCM at a junk yard could I just plug it in and use it or does it need to be reconfigured or what? Sorry don't know much about PCM issues. And if I find a TCU as well?

Old 07-22-2015, 11:08 PM

No idea. If it is the same model, theoretically it should be plug and play. One other thing you can try after checking fuses and wiring - unplug the battery for about 15 min. That resets the PCM and if there is a software related glitch, hopefully a hard restart would clear it out. Good luck man.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:41 AM

Ya I've actually disconnected the battery (for 15min +) a couple times trying to reset the PCM. No luck. Think I'm going to try to find both a PCM and also a TCU at the junk yard. Fingers crossed. It just feels like it is lacking horsepower up until third gear,after about 35mph it seems to behave normally. so it makes me think that the PCM and TCU aren't "meshing"? Like somehow it's just not even in first and second gear at all if that's possible. Anyways thanks again for all the advise. Much appreciated.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:26 PM

P1600 = Serial Communication Link Malfunction-20

Old 07-23-2015, 01:01 PM

I'm sorry I don't know what that means.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:55 AM

Basically communication error between modules (PCM/ECM and TCM) or other..

You might want to bring it to your dealer.. If your using a home scanner it probably can't talk to the TCM or SRS computer and is only getting the general codes..

Did you replace the ECU and TCM already?

Old 07-25-2015, 01:39 PM

No I haven't replaced the ecu or the tcu bc I wasn't sure if they need to be reprogrammed first or what? I've done some research and just can't seem to get a clear answer on that so I didn't want to install them and mess anything up any further.

Quick Reply: Battery installed backwards :/