Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

bleeding brakes

Old 02-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Default bleeding brakes

Hi, Having trouble bleeding my brakes, pedal still spongy. Replaced master cyl. 2 wheel cyl .rear shoes, front pads. SUV is a 2003 monty sport, non-ABS, non-HBB model. Did 2 man brake bleed, used vacuum pump, used pressurized reservior, non helped at all. Need some help, thanks in advance.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 AM

Did you bleed the master cylinder before installation?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 AM
Default bleeding brakes

Hi, yes I did bench bleeding prior to installing, I ordered a proportional valve from dealership, thanks.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:10 PM

You didn't describe your 2 man bleed method. Open the bleed screw and say "press". The 2nd man presses the brake pedal to the floor and holds it there until you say "release" which you don't do until you see brake fluid flow stop and he says "down". You then close the bleed screw and give the "release" command to which he responds "up" when the pedal finishes its' upward travel. Works every time. Start at the wheel furthest from the Master Cylinder and move the LR and then the RF and finally LF. Top off the fluid from time to time while bleeding. Why would you use a vacuum pump when you have an assistant?

Old 03-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Default can't locate the residual valve

Hi again, still waiting for proportional valve, back order mitsu part # "mr249351". In researching and reading many forums, spongy brakes will occur if the residual valve is missing. I can't locate the residual valve in the M.C. outlet going to the rear end (drum brake) or steel lines to rear end. My montero sport LR wheel cyl. doesn't have a bleeder valve; repair manual says RR will bleed both sides, no mention of any special procedures. Thanks for any advice/tips.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:44 PM

I don't know if the proportional valve is the same as the residual valve, but if either one of them was "missing" as you put it I don't think that is a vehicle I would ride in anytime soon. Do you really mean to say it "is missing" or do you mean you can't locate it on the vehicle. I don't buy the idea that one caliper can bleed another. What if there is air trapped downstream from the "Y" point where the two sides seperate from each other. That air isn't going anywhere. I had to rebuild a proportioning valve on an early 80s Ford pickup because I couldn't find it. All the other brake components had been changed(and I do mean ALL) and still very little braking in the rear. I opened it up and the fluid had turned to gel after 25 years of not being flushed. After I cleaned it the brakes worked fine. That may be your solution.