Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

blinking the 4x4 light

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 11:44 AM
ole
Default blinking the 4x4 light

2000 Montero Sport keeps blinking the 4x4 light, and after 15-20min of driving the "ANTILOCK" lights up solid. By going into 4wd (also turns the 4wd light solid) or restarting the truck, the "ANTILOCK" light goes out while the 4x4 light flashes. Just had transmission flushed and differential fluid change. Could that have anything in common w/ problem? 4x4 engages and seems to disengage ok. Just the 4wd light flashes. And NOW flashing all the time.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Default RE: blinking the 4x4 light

That is scary, I just logged on to ask the exact same question. I am having the exact same symptoms on my 2000 LS...

Someone help us

Old 09-16-2004, 07:37 PM

http://msport97.proboards6.com/index...num=1093381455

look halfway down hope it helps

Old 10-12-2004, 07:52 PM

I have the same problem with the blinking four-wheel drive light. When I took the truck to my mechanic, he thought the sensors were in good shape. The truck has a new transfer case, but my mechanic thinks that the front drive shaft is spinning when the 4X4 light is blinking. He does not think the drive shaft is actually engaging the hubs until the truck is shifted into 4-wheel, but he is at a loss as to why the 4x4 light is blinking and the drive shaft is spinning.

Previous posts mention the exact problem. Have you guys come up with a solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-25-2004, 05:57 PM

I need serious help with this. My 2001 Montero Sport XLS just started doing this a week ago. I've had two mechanics look at the car and called the dealer and none of them knows what to do. [>:]

After reading the forum, I got the car back today (after having the mechanic lube the 2/4 WD switches) and drove it many miles while switching it back and forth. The light is still blinking, but at least the ABS light didn't come on.

One of the mechanics found a Technical Service Bulletin for a Montero (not a Montero Sport) of the same year, which suggests changing the switches on the transfer casing of the 4WD because they tend to corrode. This costs roughly $500, so I'd hate to pay and it not fix the problem.

If anyone has had this problem and resolved it please let me know. I want to drive my car!!

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2004, 12:49 AM

I have 2000 Montero Sport same problem...solution freewheeling switch on the front diff housing....replace it your problem will be fixed...temp you can unplug it, socket is under vaccum can beside wheel well on pass side......no more flashing and no more anti lock brake light coming on....but when you get chance replace the switch about 50.00

Old 11-15-2004, 05:23 PM

I agree freewheel clutch switch is your problem.That is a recall item possibly .Check your VIN with your local Mitsu Dealer to see if you have a recall issue.

Old 08-19-2005, 02:55 PM

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time here. I have a similar problem with my 1997 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. Here goes:

For about three weeks now the transfer light comes on and sometimes a load noise is heard. It seems like the car is all of a sudden in 4x4. I cannot get it out. What works best is to turn the car off and wait a few hours. Then the issue will not occur until a couple days later. Sometimes other dummy lights come on as well, but mostly it's been the transfer case light. After taking the Montero 4 times to the dealer and two separate mechanics, they are all at a loss. They were not able to grab any codes when the transfer case light was on and now the transfer case light and dummy lights will not come back on. It's a very intermittent problem, but is really irritating.

The Mitsubishi dealer had their head mechanic work on the car over the time the car has been at the dealer and he is stumped. He thinks it is the main Central Processing Unit (CPU) computer on the Montero going out and this is why the intermittent problem is occurring. The car has 186K miles and I am being told that with the high mileage on the car he does not recommend replacing this part because other parts are going to soon go out because of the age of the car and the mileage. Even if they were to replace this part or any other computer parts they cannot guarantee the issue will not happen again, since they cannot find the exact cause. So basically it's the shotgun approach, which can get very expensive.

We could take it to another Mitsubishi dealership, but I bet they will have the same problem, since they use the same computers to troubleshoot problems.

I don't like the idea of you driving the Montero and the issue happening again because we all know it's not good on the car to all of a sudden slam into 4x4 at whatever MPH I am at.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Old 01-22-2006, 04:22 PM

I'm still working on the blinking light, but as for it going into 4wd by its self, I changed the fluids in transfer and diff cases.
Doesnt go in bu its self any more but light still blinks.

Old 01-30-2006, 02:20 PM

Similar problem on my wife's 2000 Montero Sport LS (Front axle/hubs refuses to engage at all when the transfer case is shifted).

All in all the Montero is good SUV outside of the complicated/sensitive 4wd system.

I own a 1986 Toyota 4runner with 266,000 miles (all original) and I was thinking about selling the 4runner and taking over the Montero Sport , but after reading all this, the newer Montero is probably going to be for sale instead of the 20year old Toyota. The Toyota 4Runner has never, ever let me down on or off road.

All in all the Montero is better than a lot of SUVs out there. But still do not think think it can match a Toyota for offroad use and overall quality. I live on the Outer Banks of Noth Carolina and positivley cannot depend on a car that may or may not engage in 4WD.
(becasue of tide changes etc on the beach).

If someone convinces me that I will not be changing out this freewhweel switch every year or so, I might would keep the Montero Sport , but at this point the Montero Sport looks to be the vehicle that is for sale.
My wife will be getting a Toyota Sienna Van as a next vehicle after my Montero experience. I cannot live with a fickle 4wd sytem where I live.

Quick Reply: blinking the 4x4 light