Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

blinking the 4x4 light

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 01:42 AM
Default RE: blinking the 4x4 light

If the 4x4 lights continue to flash when switched to 4wd or when switching BACK to 2wd after successful engagement of the 4wd system, more than likely- the cause is in the front freewheel switch. If the 4wd lights start to flash when switching into 4wd- followed by the ABS light also coming on, it is likely to be one of the switches in the transfercase. The switches in the transfer case is the confirm the command from the driver (i believe one will switch on while the other switches off), while the switch in the front diff, is to confirm the actual engagment of the front freewheel system. If the command is sensed WITHOUT a confirmation- the light will flash. If one command is sensed without the other switch sensing the same command- the abs light will turn on. It does this because the mulitmode ABS ECU does not know what mode to switch to since the switches aren't "jiving". Either way- the sticking switches can be avoided with a more periodic use of the 4wd system. Even a simple switch into and out of 4wd should be enough to prevent this occurance. As for the TSB mentioned in the previous post- that is for the early Gen III Montero's which use an electronic engagment system in the 4wd system- completely different and does not apply at all.

Joel, CA

Old 01-01-2007, 02:36 PM

I have the same problem from time to time. My Mitsubishi mechanic says the best way to avoid this issue is to frequently, while at idle in neutral, shift in and out of 4X4 to keep the sensors from sticking. If the problem does occur it can often be solved by doing the above many times in a row. I've heard of people shifting in and out of 4X4 hundreds of times before the stuck sensors release, I just solved the problem in my 2001 sport one more time with approximately 50 attempts to shift in and out. I'm considering a shift in and out of 4X4 as standard protocol on start-up.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:53 PM

I had the same problem of blinking light on my 2000 sport. the dealer replced a relay, but it still does it ocasionally. I have found that if I shift it into 4wheel drive about once every two weeks, it seems to work better if you shift it every once in a while

Old 02-07-2007, 09:34 PM

I had the same problem. The Montero Sport uses a vaccum assisted Transfer case. There is a valve on the passenger side of the car under the wheel well cowling that if you don't use the 4x4 enough will wear out causing the transfer gearing to not retract completely. The part costs about $160 and can be fixed in an hour.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:45 AM

i've got a 1997 montero sport and i do use it off-road. i run into this often when i've gone through water. my understanding isthe blinking 4x4 light means that either the front axle has engaged to the driveline or the transfer case has engaged while the other has not regardless of whether you're in 4wd or not. Now the way i understand it is that the front axle engages to the driveline with a vaccume accuator but the vaccumeis used todissengage the axle so without vacume it will be engaged. don't know bout everyone else but my 4x4 light always blink w/key on engine off just cause there's no vaccume.once i drove through a huge puddleabout a minute b4 getting on the highway and while on the highway the water shorted a relay causing my front axle to engage accompanied by a loud bang because the front driveshaft just went from zero to 70 in bout a second. i just disconnected relay blew it out and reconnected (on the 97 its on passenger wheel well below air cleaner box dont know bout other years)
Just my opinion but as for the abs light always being on except while in 4wd, the abs senses the speed of each wheel so if each wheels speed doesn't match goin straight down the road it knows somethings wrong. 4wd could be locking all the wheels at the same speed neutralizing the abs problem, assuming the problems mechanical. a possible reason could be just decent differnce in tire pressures or if maybe you had to replace a tire and it not the same size as the others. i hope i helped someone, good luck

Old 09-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Default Unwanted 4x4 engagement

Turns out the default selection is 4x4 vs. 2-wheel drive. On my 1994 Montero, control is established by a vacuum solenoid switch mounted on the right fenderwell under the air filter. When it wears out and cannot hold the vacuum, it goes into 4-wheel drive by default. Replacement part was $150. I am not a mechanic, but using a Phillips screwdriver, I made the swap in 5 minutes. It has worked flawlessly for 2 years, now.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:09 AM

It's easy to check transfer case switches and the freewheel switch with ohmmeter for continuity . If you dont have one use a battery and a light bulb ( with the same voltage).
Switches have 2 wires and you connect them to an ohmmeter and then push little shaft on the switch in and out and look if the reading changes or is the same. Should change. With the light bulb connect one wire to the battery (positive or negative terminal) and the other one to the side of the bulb. Connect bottom of the bulb to other (unused) terminal on the battery. By closing and opening the switch you will cause the light to go on and off. If it's off or stays on all the time the switch is faulty. The cost is only $ 50-$75 per switch and you will need only one or two. I needed 2 on the transfer case for my Montero. Make sure you don't mix them up and reinstall into the wrong spot . Diagnose one by one and put it back in it's place. Hope it helps.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Default Blinking 4x4 light or Blinking ABS light

A blinking 4x4 light and blinking ABS light are common on MSports. Check this post : Monterosportonline.net Forum - F A Q- Updated 3/12/05

Old 11-26-2013, 08:47 AM
Default blinking 4x4 light

have the same issue w/lights on dash blinking AND won't switch into 4x4 from driver seat (manually done at shop) any thoughts?

Old 06-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Default 2001 mit. montero (4x4 blinking and activating)

my 2001 mit. montero is activating the 4x4