Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

blower motor inop

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Default blower motor inop

Hello, I found this forum thru google and am looking for some help.

I have a 99 montero sport that I am having a problem with. The a/c blower motor stopped working a few weeks ago. I checked it and found no voltage at the blower or resistor connectors. The next thing I checked was the blower motor relay and found it was melted and found some damage to the underhood fuse box. I replaced the relay hoping it was just age that had caused the failure. Well the blower motor is starting cut out again.

I looked thru the forum and could not find a thread with this exact problem. Moderators if there is one I am sorry.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:30 PM

Welcome to the forum. Using the advanced search feature and looking for "heater relay" brought up these two threads which should be helpful:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...r-motor-39648/

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...-module-32932/

One of them even has photos of a melted relay just like yours!

What puzzles me now is:

Why does this seem to be happening to a few Sports? and when you say starting to cut out, what to you mean? How long does it stay inop and how often?

When it's not working check to see if the new relay is too hot to touch - this would indicate the problem is coming from somewhere else and that there is intermittent over-current going thru the relay contacts - eventually melting the plastic at the connectors. One thing that can cause overcurrent is if the fan itself gets hung up and can't turn. This would look like a short to wiring and relay. So check the bearings in the motor - maybe even use a small bit of spray grease around the shafts.

Another option is to leave the blower assy accessable so you can touch the motor when things stop. If it's humming and getting hot then that's a clue the fan or shaft is stalled.

One last possibility is that there is no overload issue and that when repairing the fuse panel you ended up with a connection that is intermittent. You might want to hook up a 12v test lamp to the positive terminal of the motor so you can see if the voltage goes away when the fan stops working.

Hope this helps.

Ron

Old 08-05-2011, 12:29 AM

Thanks a million! I will check these things (and the links you provided) and get back with you.

When it stops it will usually restart if you mess with the relay. It seams to be hotter than the headlight relay right next to it.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 AM

The pictures in the first link looks exactly like what I have got. I purchased a replacement relay from Orielly's. I wonder if a relay from the mitsubishi dealer would be better. I wish the original thread had a resolution.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:05 PM

It has never just stopped working, it will not work when I first start the car.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:20 AM

If you're concerned about the O'Reillys relay, swap it out for one of the other Mitsu relays in your panel. It appears fromt the photos in the link that he used the headlight relay as a test.

I'd talk a close look at the holes where the heater relay plugs in. If one or more of the brass female spade lug sockets that are molded into base of the panel are loose because the plastic melted then you may not be getting good contact when you plug in your relay. If there is a way to get underneath or inside the panel to insure the connections are good that might help.

Good luck.

Ron