Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Blower Motor/Resistor Module

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Does it still work on high (4)? If so then it does seem that the resistor pack is the problem. But that doesn't explain why the new one failed so soon. Either it was defective or there may be a problem with the fan speed switch.

If you have an ohm meter you can pull the resitor pack and check to see if one or more of the resistors is actually blown. If it tests good, the problem is the switch. If it's bad you may want to try another one but if that one also blows it's definitely a switch problem. Send me a PM with an e-mail address and I can send you the wiring diagram.

Ron

Old 04-10-2011, 02:04 PM

One more thought in case your new pack tests bad. As noted elsewhere in this thread, the pack has to be cooled by the fan or else it will burn out quickly. Highest heat generation is when you have the fan on 1 and all three resistors are engaged. If for some reason your fan is sluggish or seizing on low speed then that might explain why it only lasted for a few days. Not all that likely but worth checking if nothing else seems amiss.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:42 AM

Hello, I'm having the same issue with my Montero and would like to replace the blower resistor. Any chance someone could post where it is & how to change it? Is it in the passenger footwell? Sorry for the noob question.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:25 AM

It's inside the heater fan casing which is just above the passenger footwell. Remove the plastic heater plenum that forms the "ceiling" of the footwell and you will see the round blower casing. The reisistor pack is screwed into the bottom of the case and has a connector with several wires. You may need to remove the blower motor/fan assy (three screws on the bottom of the case) to get the resistor pack out - or maybe not - can't quite recall. In either case it's not that complicated.

Good luck.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:52 AM

Thanks, I found it by downloading the Pajero manual. Now to swap it out & see if thats the issue.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Cool Blower fan not working?

Hi, Im new to the forum and would appreciate some help. My ac/heater fan isnt working on any setting(1,2,3,4). The AC compressor still turns on, I replaced the resistor & the fan switch and if I apply 12v directly to the blower motor it works fine. I visually inspected the wiring & I read the other feedback in this thread & I am stumped. Is there a relay in the blower motor circuit? If so where is it located? Could someone email me a wiring diagram of the circuit. Any help would be greatly appreciated, its hot I need my AC. Thanx

Old 06-18-2011, 12:57 PM

Hi: It would help if you stated the year and model (Sport or Full Size) Montero.

Yes, there is a relay that controls the blower circuit. This thread covers a problem similar to your symptoms - but it's for a Sport. If you have a Full Size Montero check in the engine compartment fuse box and/or your owners manual to see if you can find the heater relay. I assume you've already checked the fuses....

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=39648

Ron

Old 06-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Cool Blower Motor

Hi, sorry I have a 1999 mitsubishi montero sport ls. Does that have a relay? If so where is it located? Thanx for the quick response I have the dash apart now.

Last edited by JustNyce; 06-18-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-18-2011, 01:36 PM

Yes I checked the fuse boxes they all were good?

Old 06-18-2011, 01:49 PM

That thread link I sent in my last post was also for a Sport so you can use the info in it. Did you read all of it? It shows that the heater relay is in the engine compartment fuse box. I believe Mitsu used the same relay for several circuits so you can swap out the heater relay for another circuit and see if the relay is dead.

As noted in that thread there is also a fusible link that feeds power to the relay. Once you determine which relay is for the heater you can take it out and check to see if there is power to at least one of the sockets. If not then the fusible link may be blown. Hopefully it's the relay just like in that thread as I have no idea how to trace and replace the fusible link.

ROn

Quick Reply: Blower Motor/Resistor Module