Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

BRAND NEW ALTINATOR! and the truck still died.... I need help please :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Default BRAND NEW ALTINATOR! and the truck still died.... I need help please :(

2001 Mitsu Montero Sport 2WD 3.5v

Ok this is the second I bought an OEM Alternator.... We jerry rigged the tenisioner pully bold to hold the belt at the right tension.... I drove it for an hour, and when I turned off the truck, and turned it back on, it made a hissing clicking sound )wouldnt crank over.... we jumped it off and it was good..... But this time the Battary light is gone.... but I dont understand why it did that..... Can some one help me

Old 08-23-2009, 07:17 PM

You check if the battery is ok? For cranking amps and if it's holding a charge.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:39 PM

Are you sure the belt is at the right tension? The alt could have been working well enough to keep it running but not enough to recharge the battery. You say "this time the battery light is off" When was it on?

Ron

Old 08-23-2009, 11:21 PM

well the past several weeks the battery light would stay on, I checked the Alternator and it was only putting 12.4V just bearly enought to keep the battery charged, that why it took soo long to drain.... so after I put the new alti on, thats when It died again..... I love Montero's but this is really frusturating..... Imgoing to check the amps in the battery 2morro.... if its good, what else could it be?

Old 08-24-2009, 12:46 AM

Sometimes the most obvious things are really the most obvious. Perhaps the battery did not get enough charging. See if the light comes on again as you drive it further. If it does, then it's likely the belt is slipping. If not, and if it still won't start after driving a while, then the battery is suspect as previously suggested.

Ron

Old 08-24-2009, 07:29 AM

you probably just have a blown alternator fusible link.
its gonna be the largest one on the car... located at the battery or under the hood fuse panel.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:47 PM

The belts tight. And with the vehicle off, im getting 11.6 Volts.

Im having trouble finding the fuseable link.... do you have a picture?

Also My truck wont turn over, My guess is the electrical charging issue.... but not sure... What do you guys think?

Old 08-24-2009, 07:00 PM

Don't know if Sports are different but on my fullsize there are several fusible link modules in the engine compartment fuse panel. As Manybrews noted, they are BIG (about 3/4" x 1/2") and are with colored bases and clear plastic tops so you can see if the link has melted. There is one marked ALT (1OO Amps) and several others as well.

"Truck won't turn over" Need more info. Do you get nothing at all or still getting the clicking you got before? Do the lights, horn, etc work or is it all dead?

Ron

Old 08-24-2009, 07:09 PM

take ur battery out and take it to an autoparts store and have it checked. then u will know weather or not ur battery is bad, and the checks are free anyways

Old 08-24-2009, 07:31 PM

Yeah, I had the battery checked at autozone... they said it was good, I had a it checked right before the instilation of the new alternator. All of the fuses that have the cleared colord tops are all good, the links are still ok..... There are 4 or 5 black things that may be fuses or relays.... but im afraid of checking them, i dont want to snap the black clips.

Lights come on and everything.... the starter makes a buzzing clicking sound...... I dont thinks its the starter, only because all the other times the truck did this, it was cause of the Alti,battery electrical thing...
what do you guys think?

Quick Reply: BRAND NEW ALTINATOR! and the truck still died.... I need help please :(