Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Broken Timing Belt Tensioner '94 Montero SR... Seeking Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Default Broken Timing Belt Tensioner '94 Montero SR... Seeking Advice

Hello everybody!
The timing belt tensioner pulley on my 94 montero sr broke recently. The belt did not break. I had a friend take a look at it and he put a new tensioner and belt on it. He tried to crank it over with a wrench but it wont go. I'm my limited knowledge I believe this means there is severe damage to the valves and pistons and requires serious work. Am I correct? I am thinking that, for me, it isn't worth fixing.

I would really appreciate some advice from people who know these cars.

Should I scrap the car or do you think it is something that someone would would want to buy for parts or to rebuild? What do you think would be a good asking price for a '94 SR with 130-140k miles needing this kind of work?

Thanks for your time and help!

Old 07-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Default BackYard mechanic 30years

Hi. Thread is old and this combo probably not happen again but it's like this. With the spark plugs in the engine you may not be able to turn the engine due to compression and lack of leverage & could snap a camshaft bolt if done there.
If the valves are bent then chances are the engine has bent them far enough to clear now so the damage is done but not necessarily because you can't turn the crank. He should have gotten part by of a turn at least before running into a valve perhaps. Take plugs out and it is easier to turn engine over with a wrench on the crank or a screwdriver on the flex plate teeth to move it- -any stoppage or resistance beyond a valve being opens by the cam lobe is a problem. If the oil pump is connected to any timing it also must be in proper sync in order to allow pressure through the crankshaft oil galleys at the right time! Also any rebuild must have engine startup live installed in journals so that the engine will have oil pressure and not run dry which will not allow oil to be sucked up, if I may.
hope this helps.
oh, there could be a piece of the guide caught in a belt groove and this will be a problem! The fact the guide broke and possibly allowed the belt to slacken enough to damage valves- -a compression test after turning engine by hand 2 revolutions will let you know.