Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Looking to Buy a Montero. Any Specific year models I should avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 09:18 PM
Default Looking to Buy a Montero. Any Specific year models I should avoid?

Hi,

New to the Forum. Hope this thread is in the right place.

I am looking to get a Montero.
Preferably 4x4
Are there any year models that I should avoid?
From what I have read on the inter-webs most models are supposed to be pretty solid .

However, this article says be wary of the '01 & '02.
Do you Mitsu-guru z think it is right/accurate? Or are the issues they list rare, uncommon, overblown?
What's the Worst Year for the Mitsubishi Montero? (motorbiscuit.com)

Most of the Monteros in the area I am finding are '01 & '02.

I would like to get the latest model I can find. But rarely see anything past '03.
I read Monteros were only sold in U.S. until '06 so "latest" is relative.

Looking for dependable with not much maintenance.
I realize these cars are aging and I will have some work to do including taking care of any neglected stuff.
I can do most work myself, but trying to avoid endless fixing.
Certainly, It all depends on how it has been treated in the past.

Currently I have a 1990 F150 & a 1990 Isuzu Trooper 2.6. and I am up to my eyeballs in maintenance. (Most likely going to sell the Trooper)

So, I guess the question is. Once it is "caught up" on repairs are they generally pretty reliable.?

This would be a second car that I take on long road trips and possibly some off road. Beginner off-road. Not heavy.

Interested to hear your input.
Thanks much!

Old 11-09-2021, 06:00 PM

I own a 2001 limited and though I know nothing about the different generations of monteros, I am pretty happy with it after 185000 miles. I know they beefed up the engine to a 3.8 in 2003, but I don’t suffer from too little power for my beast.

I have replaced timing belt, water pump and tensioner.
also all the suspension parts and tie rods.
also ignition coils, spark plugs and wires (a real pain of a job), valve cover gaskets
plus front wheel bearings.
and I have replaced the brakes twice in the last 70000 miles ( it’s a heavy vehicle and eats up the brakes)

The front differential leaks a little and the front seal does also. No big deal at this point

i love my Monty .that’s the only reason I put a bunch of money in my gas guzzler. It’s a comfortable,safe ride and I would not hesitate to buy another.
hope this helps

Old 11-09-2021, 11:41 PM

Thx Dan,

Appreciate the input!

Old 11-25-2021, 07:23 AM

I have a 2000 montero, Not sure I would take it on long trips. The suspension is of very old design and it does not like bumpy roads. I bought it down south and drove it up north where I live, so I've taken it on long trips and definitely would not do it again. Perfect for me as I only drive it around my dads farm. As far as 4x4, I wouldn't do any serious off roading with it as its one of the less stable vehicles I've been in... tipsy. I love it tho. Not easy to work on either, the engineers seem to put every bolt in a tough spot and have to take a million things off to do simple jobs. If I did buy one, I'd do a bunch of work up front. Timing belt, water pump, alternator, plugs, valve cover gaskets, cam seals, cam/crank sensors, radiator (don't want oil lines rusting out into the coolant) and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. Order a crank bolt and a cam holder before starting and make sure to have all parts on hand so you're not waiting days/weeks with it all apart.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:06 PM

Thx for the response and info.

Looking for latest model I can find , but a '95 caught my eye. Was concerned about exactly that...older suspension design for long trips on freeway.

Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/GS6ydFIculb

Also this is pretty sweet but out of my price range

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/...410641858.html

Thx

Old 11-27-2021, 09:46 AM

If I were to recommend one, I'd personally go for a Gen III full size Montero. I have a 2001 Montero Limited. Had it since day 1. The best, most comfortable ride of just about any vehicle. Great handlng On and Off road. The only times I've struggled off-road with it, was she, I had old bold tires. Otherwise it is superb.

Old 03-16-2022, 01:02 PM

I own a 01 Mitsubishi Montero Sport Limited with 252,350 miles, and I've had relatively easy to identify and fix types of problems. But one model year I've heard that you should stay away from, is the 2003 models. They're notorious for being the least reliable.

Old 05-13-2022, 03:07 AM

I ran a 94 for years 250000+ miles. drove several 500+trips , though ride good for a 4x4 ridden some newer that were worse. Only thing I would look for in the 95 is avoid the 30L go for the 3.5

Old 05-13-2022, 09:01 AM

I have gone cross country in it 5 times. I would not hesitate to take it again. Absolutely the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned

Old 05-13-2022, 09:17 AM

Yes still have mine she's retired now but thinking about waking her up with some TLC. But got to find someone to help time heads

Quick Reply: Looking to Buy a Montero. Any Specific year models I should avoid?