Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

a/c drain plug

Old 06-26-2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by MONsTERO
no. this drain tube releases water that builds up from condensation. That's the drip you see under cars on a hot summer day. If it's clogged, it'll back the water up under your dashboard
My 2003 Montero LTD started dripping form under the dashboard also. Please explain the bit about the weedwhacker line. Once you touch-find the nipple you simply started to insert the nylon line into it?

Old 06-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Default 2003 Montero Limited with water dripping from under glove compartment.

Originally Posted by dtr753
I had the same problem on my 02 montero limited. I was able to clear the plug with a piece of weedeater string. The drain is located on the almost dead center behind the engine. It is a short piece of white plastic pipe. I first saw it from underneath the vehicle and was then able to reach it from the top. It was not easy and I am 6' 2" with long arms. I hope this helps if you have any other questions I will help if I can.
I have tried to locate the drain nipple on the firewall as described in your message but I cannot see it. Do you think I can find it by touch behind the hoses running across the firewall?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Default find that nipple

The drain physically cannot be reached while standing on the ground. I laid my floor mat over the battery and I laid across that. Probably not smart as the floor mat was soaked with water from the original problem. But once you could reach directly behind the engine on the center of the fire wall, start feeling down below the hoses. You'll feel it.

Yes, just pushing any small wire like the weed wacker nylon line in a few inches will release all that water. And the Montero says, aaahhh.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:45 PM
SBW

MONsTERO - Thanks for the help. The pic was a great. The problem just stared today on the way home from vacation. I found the drain after laying on top of the intake manifold and was able to drain the HVAC unit without any problem. Wow there was a lot of water in there too. Thanks again for the help
Sam

Old 07-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Default AC Drain in Montero Fan

The drain is a white plastic nipple about 3/8 inch diameter that sticks out from the center of the firewall behind the engine and below the two refrigerant lines as described by several others. I purchased a mechanic's mirror - a small mirror mounted on a long telescopic handle to find it. If you stand by the battery and lower the mirror between the engine and the fire wall below the lines, you'll see it. While holding the mirror to aim at the drain, I used a straightened wire hanger to clear the drain. The oil dipstick may also work as mentioned by someone else. Best of luck.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:51 AM

Thank you so much for the picture. For the life of me I couldn't find the drain but once I saw the picture I knew right where to feel. Luckily my arms are thin enough so once I climbed on the engine I was able to get to it. Thanks again for the help!

Old 08-15-2011, 05:54 PM

Thanks so much...will try this tomorrow

Old 11-16-2011, 09:15 AM

Thanks for helping me find it, i was able to get to it from under the car without taking off anything. As stated if you look at the gas pedal just to the right, you will see the corner of the AC unit, its white, directly in front of that going through the firewall is a WHITE tube that sticks straight out. Mine was blocked partly by a foam covered cable that leads to the tranny, if you move it out of the way you will see it. I ran a piece of cable through it and viola I was drenched with water.

This is on a Montero LTD btw

Good luck

Old 01-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Default Thanks!

Trying it tomorrow on my wife's 2001 XLS Full Monty. Just changed the serpentine belt tensioner on it and once I follow your instructions and install the eBay-special blower motor (the old one sort of drowned) she'll be ready for another 50K miles or so!!! Thanks!!!!

Old 08-09-2012, 03:26 PM

good thing this thread is still up, my wife informed me of our Mitsubishi XLS leaking water just underneath the glove box. I came back here and found this thread and I just got unplugin mine, its a bitch to get too! The picture monstero posted was helpful and accurate.

If you take off the brass bracket (two bolts attached to the transmission) that holds the emergency brake line in place its a lot easier to get to it from the bottom. Once that's off you can slide your hand all the way to where the drain plug is located. I was not able to get it from the top because my hands were too big.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a/c drain plug