Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Camshaft position sensor: Guidance or experience changing this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 11:20 PM
Default Camshaft position sensor: Guidance or experience changing this?

I have the part and know where it is, but thinking how to access it without disconnecting more than necessary. Definitely don't want to break anything. Any tips greatly appreciated!

Old 03-13-2016, 01:00 AM

No need to disconnect anything extra.
1. Make sure the engine is cold.
2. Reach behind the cylinder head and disconnect the wire going to the sensor.
3. Use a small ratchet to unfasten the bolt holding the sensor to the housing. Check the new sensor to see at what angle the bolt will be positioned. It is very tight there and you might have difficulty reaching there, but that is what you have to do (that's why cold engine - not to burn your hands).
4. Once you got the bolt out, gently twist and pull on the sensor.
5. Reverse steps for install.
That's about all. Good luck

Old 03-14-2016, 04:47 PM
Default started after sitting 3-4 days

When I ordered the part it took 3-4 days to receive it so the Montero sat. This afternoon I went to replace the Camshaft sensor but thought to try starting it just to see. Started right up.

Can the camshaft sensor be intermittent like this? Not work for 5 days and then start to work? Only thing I did was not run it for 4 days.

I ran it for several minutes up to 3500 RPM and drove it around block twice. Shut it off and restarted 8 times and started fine. I don't want to waste time and $ to replace Camshaft sensor if that's not the issue. Any advice?

Also can anyone confirm what these wires do? Is the one with the single green wire the alarm horn? And the other is a light for the brake fluid level or temperature? These have been like this since before the 'no start' problem. So I don't think related in anyway. Pack rat made a home right there on my brake reservoir.

Attached Thumbnails Camshaft position sensor: Guidance or experience changing this?-wires-brake-cylinder.jpg   Camshaft position sensor: Guidance or experience changing this?-wires-horn-what.jpg  
Old 03-14-2016, 11:40 PM

Any sensor can have an intermittent problem. Since you have a nice critter nest under the hood, it can be a wiring related issue. You can try to start the engine and pull on different parts of wiring harness to see if it will cut out at any point.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:52 AM
Default Vacuum line disconnected

Found a 1/8" ID disconnected vacuum line that connects a small reservoir canister to fuel intake upper plenum. Looks like it was like this since Nov 2014 though when timing belt/water pump was replaced. Likely not culprit of no start problem eh?

I shook and moved all the wire harnesses I could. No change. Ran fine.

This wasn't a immobilizing trait was it? When the alarm or any other mechanism causes the Montero to go immobile does it crank at all? Mine was cranking good but not starting.