Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Can't find coolant leak 3.8L '05 Ltd

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Default Can't find coolant leak 3.8L '05 Ltd

Need help in finding the culprit of a coolant leak, it is substantial, difficult to find visually or by touch. The leak comes from between the firewall and the back of the engine, and it leaks all over the transmission, so it tells me it is right in the middle of the back of the engine. Removed the air intake plenum, and took out the top water pipe assembly. I had pressurized the system, and the heater hoses are OK. The top rigid water pipe is in good condition, and so are the o-rings. My suspects are the manifold tee behind the engine to where the top pipe connects, or another hose or smaller pipe that comes from the thermostat housing to the back of the engine that splits behind the engine that runs under the intake manifold and fuel rail, that I cannot find. In order to work behind the engine it has to be basically done blind, go by touch. So, need help with two issues:

1. How to take the water manifold tee out? Any tricks? It seems that most tools (12 mm hex) don't fit in between the engine block and the tee, as to loosen the bolt.

2. Do I need to take the fuel rail assembly and manifold out, in order to reach the lower hose/pipe that comes from the thermostat housing to the back of the engine? Mitsubishi's factory repair manual does mention having to remove the air intake plenum, but not the fuel rail and manifold assembly; not clear.

Any help and/or tricks from those who have had the fun of working on an 03-06 Montero Ltd 3.8L cooling system?

Anyone knows the name of the engineer who designed the system? So I can send him a nice e-mail letting him know how he should go back to engineering school. He probably learned somewhere that thin aluminum and rubber hoses last forever in a hot, corrosive, and oily environment.

Last edited by guangui; 11-10-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:19 PM

water pump leaking tru block gally out the back of the block

Old 11-11-2013, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by mxmikie
water pump leaking tru block gally out the back of the block
You mean a leaking engine seal? Or the hose/pipe that runs from the water pump housing in the front of the engine to the behind the engine? Is this under the fuel rail and fuel intake manifold? As it is always my case, it can't be a simple hose or o-ring!!!

Old 11-11-2013, 10:44 PM

the water pump weep hole it the water pump housing leaks into the "v" of the block under the intake manifold and the water runs out the back of the block

Old 11-12-2013, 03:43 AM
Banned

Could also be a heater hose, I suppose.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by mxmikie
the water pump weep hole it the water pump housing leaks into the "v" of the block under the intake manifold and the water runs out the back of the block
Thanks...now I follow what you were saying. Had already checked the weeping hole of the water pump, this is no small leak, like what you get when water leaks thru the weeping hole. This is basically "gushing". Almost sure it is the water pipe manifold that bolts to the engine block from behind. It is one of the most difficult parts of the cooling system to take out, as you have to take out the bolts by touch, and in a very tight space.

Originally Posted by Sebba
Could also be a heater hose, I suppose.
That was my initial thought and hope, but already checked and not the culprit. They are cheap, so I'm replacing anyways.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by guangui
Need help in finding the culprit of a coolant leak, it is substantial, difficult to find visually or by touch. The leak comes from between the firewall and the back of the engine, and it leaks all over the transmission, so it tells me it is right in the middle of the back of the engine. Removed the air intake plenum, and took out the top water pipe assembly. I had pressurized the system, and the heater hoses are OK. The top rigid water pipe is in good condition, and so are the o-rings. My suspects are the manifold tee behind the engine to where the top pipe connects, or another hose or smaller pipe that comes from the thermostat housing to the back of the engine that splits behind the engine that runs under the intake manifold and fuel rail, that I cannot find. In order to work behind the engine it has to be basically done blind, go by touch. So, need help with two issues:

1. How to take the water manifold tee out? Any tricks? It seems that most tools (12 mm hex) don't fit in between the engine block and the tee, as to loosen the bolt.

2. Do I need to take the fuel rail assembly and manifold out, in order to reach the lower hose/pipe that comes from the thermostat housing to the back of the engine? Mitsubishi's factory repair manual does mention having to remove the air intake plenum, but not the fuel rail and manifold assembly; not clear.

Any help and/or tricks from those who have had the fun of working on an 03-06 Montero Ltd 3.8L cooling system?

Anyone knows the name of the engineer who designed the system? So I can send him a nice e-mail letting him know how he should go back to engineering school. He probably learned somewhere that thin aluminum and rubber hoses last forever in a hot, corrosive, and oily environment.
was there a solution to this problem as I am currently experiencing the same problem

Old 05-20-2020, 12:27 PM
Default Leaking coolant

Originally Posted by Billy Hall
was there a solution to this problem as I am currently experiencing the same problem
did you find the problem ???