Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

changing valve stem seals

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 12:02 AM
Default changing valve stem seals

Im changing my valve stem seals and i dont have a air compressor and i know i can do it without it.

My question is do i really need a rope to use when having piston in tdc or can i do it without rope??

Old 10-03-2014, 02:57 AM

how are you going to lock tdc and support the valves?

Old 10-03-2014, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Akzle
how are you going to lock tdc and support the valves?
I guess that means i need another person with me but i was planning on doing everything myself

Old 10-03-2014, 02:53 PM

it was a serious question. The point of air or rope is to do those things, how do you intend to do without?
Rope is cheap and easy. Fwiw, i use twin paracord, stuff it down the plughole just before tdc then hand crank it round till it locks up.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:04 PM

Ok thanks i know what you mean ill get rope. Thanks. a lot

Old 10-03-2014, 10:05 PM

i rent the tool out so you can change them while the heads are on the engine if you need it

Old 10-08-2014, 12:03 PM

Do you have an air tank? You might be able to do a couple valves with an air tank. As I recall, I've had a valve drop down way back in the past. But not all the way down. After my eyes went wide open and I did an oh-crap dance for a few minutes, I believe I was able to lift the valve stem up by putting a magnet on the stem. If the piston is all the way down and the valve drops out, you've go to remove the head. You'll need air or a rope to hold it tight to the seat.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:01 PM

Question for you guys who have done this in the past - would it help to turn the engine, so that the cylinder you are working on is at TDC? This way you need less air volume to hold the valves up, and if a valve does slip, it will not drop down too far and the stem should be still visible/accessible. I have not done this myself, but i wanted to ask the rest of you if you think this will help.
Thanks

Old 10-13-2014, 05:14 AM

Thanks guys for all the replies but it is really a pain in tge *** getting to those valve covers i didnt know i had to remove the timing belt cover tooo

Old 03-31-2017, 01:04 AM

I'm glad I found this forum. I have a 97 Montero SR with 170k it confirms I have the same issue, valve stem seals. I get the annoying smoke plum at stop lights.

However I need other work like valve cover gaskets, timing belt, cam seals i.e routine service. Is their a mechanic you can recommend in the Alexandria, Virginia area?

The truck only has 170,000 miles. I've heard it can go the distance?

Any advice is would help.

Quick Reply: changing valve stem seals