Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

check engine light on after getting gas

Old 06-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Default check engine light on after getting gas

I have 1996 mitsubishi montero ls 4x4.The check engine light came on after getting gas for no reason.The gas was the same and no quality issues.I tightned the cap properly and reset the light so after reseting the light doesn't come on after the first time you start the car and leave it on no matter how long,then when you turn the car off and start it the second time,it comes on after 5 sec.
But i don't think there are any problems in car and it runs the same.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:21 PM

How did you reset the light? With a scan tool? If so then you need to tell us what error codes are showing.

If you didn't use and don't have a scanner then go to any major autor parts shop (Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc) and have the error code(s) read (should be for free) and post them here

Without the codes there's no way anyone can help or advise you.

This is no subsittute for having the codes read but you might also check the rubber seal around the gas cap to make sure it's not broken or not sealing completely. That could cause the symptoms you are reporting. But get those codes read regardless.

Ron

Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by jrmdir
How did you reset the light? With a scan tool? If so then you need to tell us what error codes are showing.

If you didn't use and don't have a scanner then go to any major autor parts shop (Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc) and have the error code(s) read (should be for free) and post them here

Without the codes there's no way anyone can help or advise you.

This is no subsittute for having the codes read but you might also check the rubber seal around the gas cap to make sure it's not broken or not sealing completely. That could cause the symptoms you are reporting. But get those codes read regardless.

Ron
thank you sir for your help.I reset the light by disconnecting the negative terminal.I don't think the rubber seal is broken suddenly.But if the light does not go away by itself,i will show it to my mechanic and get it diagnosed and fixed.but can you tell any other causes of the light so i could check myself beacause it is something minor.Thanks

Old 06-17-2011, 10:16 PM

Sorry, but without the error codes there is no good way to guess what is causing the light to come on.

Resetting the light by disconnecting the battery just drains the memory of the OBDII (On-Board Diagnostics) computer. It does not repair the cause of the problem. Once you reconnect the battery and start driving, the OBD computer soon notices the same problem and turns the light back on. At the same time it ALSO stores an error code that will tell you which part or problem is causing the light to come on.

As I said, most parts stores and shops now offer to read the error codes for free. There is no need to go to your mechanic just yet. Find a store that checks error codes for free, go get them read and post them on this forum. Then you will get some good free advice about fixing the cause. If it turns out to be something that requires a mechanic to fix then you can always take it in for service.

So let us know what error codes you have.

Ron