Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Chipped key

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Default Chipped key

Anyone know a cheaper way to get a new key for a 2000 Montero Sport that has the RFID key in it? The dealer (in Oahu) wants 51 for the key and 5 to cut it, but 135.oo to program it.
Rob

Old 09-17-2009, 12:09 AM

Ebay.

Instructions on how to program it was in my user Manual at least for my 2002 Montero (NOT MONTERO SPORT), but hsould be similar.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:27 PM

the cheapest way is to not lose keys.

ive owned 45 cars and never lost a key. Im baffled by the fact that people do this so often.

oh well.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Default Only one key

I have not lost keys in a long time, but I bought the monty with one key. I'll figure it out. Thanks.
Rob

Old 09-19-2009, 01:14 AM

That was a helpful tip
A bit mean.

Rob I understand, people buy used cars, and yea it is common they only give you 1 key.

Did you consider my suggestion? Because i've checked for mine.

I've bought a blank key with immobilizer on ebay for my 2002 monty and program it myself

Old 09-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Default It's all good

How do you program the key yourself? I found out how to do the keyless, but not the keys themselves.
Rob

Old 09-20-2009, 04:41 PM

The instructions were in my user manual.Unfortunately I dont have it right now. Did you read yours.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Default I'll look

I breezed through the book and did not find any instructions, but I'll grab it again and dig into it later tonight and see. Thanks.
Rob

Old 09-21-2009, 01:12 AM

"the cheapest way is to not lose keys.

ive owned 45 cars and never lost a key. Im baffled by the fact that people do this so often.

oh well.
"

I'm baffeled by people who take time out of their days to post replys bragging about how many cars they've had and yet have nothing of value to offer to the original poster.

Last edited by jrmdir; 09-21-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by jrmdir
"the cheapest way is to not lose keys.

oh well.
"

I'm baffeled by people who take time out of their days to post replys bragging about how many cars they've had and yet have nothing of value to offer to the original poster.
dont be.

when some dip**** yells at me in the drive aisle saying (and i quote) "id have never bought the goddamn car if i knew the keys were so expensive! People lose keys!"..

i just wanted to smack the moron. People lose keys? So I get to suffer his ridiculous inability to be responsible?

Look, it works like this. If you bought a used car, its not perfect. And if its missing a key and you want another, you should be prepared to pay. Owning a car is not a free endeavor.
And if someone subscribes to the theory that "people lose keys", then maybe they shouldnt be driving! After all, you never know when you'll get hit by a bolt of lightening. Or a tire may fly off. etc.etc.
a little personal responsibility goes a long way in my book. sure, things happen. But something like this is pretty preventable.

Quick Reply: Chipped key