Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Common Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Default Common Problems?

Hello, I amplanning to purchase a 1996 Montero with about 130k miles.

What are the common problems/issues I should look for during the test drive?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Default RE: Common Problems?

Service records...the timing belt should be swapped at 60K mile intervals.The engine is an interference engine, so belt breakage will mean major engine repair. Check 4x4 operation.

Oil burning at startup due to worn VSS (valve stem seals)...I can't think of anything else at the moment. You are looking at a fill size Montero, not the Montero Sport? 3.0L or 3.5L engine?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I will definitely look into the service records and keep an eye on the timing belt changes.

I am looking at a just "Montero", no sport. I do not know the engine size yet. I am planning to look at it tomorrow. By the way, what's the major difference between the Montero and Montero Sport?

Do the Monteros operate on full-time AWD or I can choose 2WD or 4WD? Thanks.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:02 PM

The Montero comes with an available selectable 4WD system, called ActivTrak or Super Select 4WD. If it is not equipped with this, then it will be part time 4WD, listed as Easy Select under Mitsubishi's brand name. The Sport models, IIRC, come with Easy Select.

Back on topic, pay particular attention to the valve stem seals if the vehicle is equipped with a 12-valve 3.0L V6. The 12-valve models are prone to this problem, which has been fixed on the 24-valve version. Mechanically, I cannot think of anything else. But check to see if the central locking operates properly, as this is a common problem on these vehicles. Sometimes when you unlock it with the key, the locks continually attempt to unlock themselves, even though the doors are unlocked. This is caused by a faulty lock actuator. Might want to see if it's been previously replaced. Hope this helps.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:00 PM

Also common (3.5L) are minor but annoying oil leaks at the rear of the cylinder heads - coming from round metal plugs installed to cover the openings machinedfor the cam shafts. These are fairly easy to fix with $3.00 O-rings. Feel around the back of the cylinder heads and/or look down at the exhaust manifolds on both sides to see if there is any oil residue.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:44 PM

Thanks carlover626, Skiddy, and jrmdir. The Montero I was planning to look at was sold However, I would like to aska few more questions for future reference.

How do I know how many valves are there by just looking at the engine without the valve cover opened?
How do I check the 4x4 is operating correctly?

Thank you very much.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:40 PM

For reference, this is what the 12-valve engine looks like:

As far as testing the 4WD system goes, check to see it shifts through all thegears smoothly- and make sure the lights do not flash a couple of seconds after shifting back into 2H mode.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:52 PM

Also, I believe the 12-valve was used into 1995; at which time the 24-valve was introduced...at least this is what I have found on the forums.

As for the 4x4, just like Skiddy said make sure the lever moves smoothly and the light (or lights)function without blinking - much. It kind of depends on the situation...and how/when your moving the lever. The transfer case can't shift (thus the blinking light)if your stopped with the tranny in Drive. At least this is how my AWD MS is.

I don't know anything about the Monty's ActivTrak or Super Select systems lol

Old 11-13-2008, 04:27 AM

The ActivTrack/Super Select 4WD system enables you to shift between 2WD and 4WD at speeds up to 100 km/h (62 MPH). If you're moving, all you have to do is release the gas and shift. If you're stationary, just make sure you're applying the brakes if the transmission is engaged in drive. The only time you have to stop the vehicle is if you are shifting into 4LLc mode, which is low range 4WD.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:08 PM

If youre still looking at Monteros be sure to check the operation of all power windows, sunroof, seats, and locks as suggested earlier. Look for smooth operation and that they (windows) close completely without stalling. The door lock problem occured on mine without warning or indication and drained the battery overnight. Also, the valve stem seals are not only a problem in the 12V motors. My 24V 3.5 in my SR started burning oil and smoking around 130k from this.

Quick Reply: Common Problems?