Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Completely rebuilding my 95 6g74 montero engine. Anyone done it before?

Old 07-31-2014, 08:42 PM
Default Completely rebuilding my 95 6g74 montero engine. Anyone done it before?

About to rebuild from the bottom up, this is gonna be fun.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:20 AM

pics or it didn't happen.

also, bore and stroke it while you're in there. oi.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:29 PM

Dont worry ill deff. be posting pics once i start, jus need to price a few more parts and get a couple specialty tools for the job. Bore and stroking it sounds great but i live in california and we have very strict smog regulations and dont know if that would cause problems down the road so ill probably jus go with stock internals.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:03 PM

Im doing the same thing to my 97 Sport.

Well I got a used block with 100k miles that im going to swap out. Replacing the T-Belt, Water pump and anything minor that might need some love.

I have blue smoke when I accelerate and that would be rings if im right... So this is easier then doing a ring job for me due to location, time, etc..

Old 08-03-2014, 06:54 PM

Cool Ya im at 127k miles and have the same problem bryce the blue smoke when accelerating. Im going to buy the complete rebuild kit off ebay its like 400.00 bucks. Then do the valves after that.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:27 AM
Default Not the complete...but

How goes the Rebuild shownuff8? Looking forward to seeing the updates.

I have basically rebuilt just the top end, after a Blown Head Gasket.

I went with the Fel-Pro Head Gasket Set, Bolts, Goodyear Timing Belt Kit With Water Pump; and Hydraulic Tensioner from Rock Auto, as well as NGK Iridium IX, BECK/ARNLEY plug Wires ( will be scooping up the NGK MX100 wire set when the Mrs. feels fit to unlock the project fund) I have the block rebuild kit on the wishlist.

I would have certainly went with a few other choices if I had found the Forums a bit sooner, but am glad it was later than never, still saved me hours, and tons of frustration researching these forums.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:27 AM

am i odd for thinking that replacing all of those things is just routine maintenance, rather than 'a rebuild'??

Old 08-12-2014, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Akzle
am i odd for thinking that replacing all of those things is just routine maintenance, rather than 'a rebuild'??
No, certainly not odd, but for lengths sake I left out a few things, such as the cleaning, resurfacing, and pressure testing of the heads, rear camo rings, intake and exhaust gaskets, ran new engine, and tranny cooler lines, water pipe o rings, valve stem seals. I would say it was a bit more involved than just standard maintenance.

Still, it is far from a FULL engine rebuild, but would love to be able to make that happen at some point in the near future.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Garifini
No, certainly not odd, but for lengths sake I left out a few things, such as the cleaning, resurfacing, and pressure testing of the heads, rear camo rings, intake and exhaust gaskets, ran new engine, and tranny cooler lines, water pipe o rings, valve stem seals. I would say it was a bit more involved than just standard maintenance.

Still, it is far from a FULL engine rebuild, but would love to be able to make that happen at some point in the near future.
Havent started tearing into it just yet, have been outta town for work the past few weeks but im hoping to start pulling the engine by the begining of next month. And if you wanna get technical ya it probably wasnt a full top end rebuild but im sure "most" of us knew what you meant, I did anyways. So about how much did you spend on your top end rebuild if you dont mind me asking? cuz ima be doin the same plus valve job too.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:35 PM
Default She passed!

Well folks, did a full tune up threw in some cleaners and a couple other things and my baby finnally passed the smog check so i guess i wont be doing a full engine rebuild after all not yet at least. I do need to replace the valve stem seals and valve cover plug gaskets but i can do that in due time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Completely rebuilding my 95 6g74 montero engine. Anyone done it before?