Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Coolant pipes to rear heat

Old 05-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Default Coolant pipes to rear heat

I was at the stealership on Saturday getting the Brake accumulator changed. (warranty item for 10 yrs and 150K miles) Not understanding why this job took 3 hours to do was when they called me to service desk and told me I needed some items looked into. I said you were just supposed to do the brake accumulator. What did you do? He said they did a 100 pt "safety check" on car. They pulled the wheels to look at brakes among other things. I ended up needing over $2K worth of work they said. I told him to "F" himself, that he had no business doing any other "checks" to my car without my permission. I love how they try to drum up business. Any how, they did say that a problem spot are the rear coolant lines for the rear heater. He said they were rusting and that they needed to be changed. Does anybody know what these lines look like or what the actual factory name for this part is so I may inspect them. Sorry for the vent, but I was pissed. Oh he also said my brakes were bad, I did them about 15K ago and did everything. He also said the "tech" found that the slider pins on the driver side were dry. Did you at least grease them seeing as you removed them to inspect? He said no, that will cost $49.95. And dealers wonder why people refuse to go back for service.

Last edited by 7-UP BILL; 05-16-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:11 AM

Do you have the rear heater option? Far right switch on the center console. If so, there is a rear heater core in the back on the right side, so I assume he's talking about pipes from the engine to serve this core? Perhaps viewable from underneath?

Old 05-18-2011, 06:22 PM

I had the same problem on our '01 Limited. The lines are silver in color and run above the rear driveshaft from the motor to the rear heater box. You should be able to see and smell where they are leaking from. I simply cut the tubes on either side of the rusted area and used rubber heater hose and a few hose clamps. Cheap, effective fix. If the whole length of the lines are rusted out, run a length of rubber heater hose parallel to original tubes and zip-tie the rubber hose to the original lines.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by 05Limited
I had the same problem on our '01 Limited. The lines are silver in color and run above the rear driveshaft from the motor to the rear heater box. You should be able to see and smell where they are leaking from. I simply cut the tubes on either side of the rusted area and used rubber heater hose and a few hose clamps. Cheap, effective fix. If the whole length of the lines are rusted out, run a length of rubber heater hose parallel to original tubes and zip-tie the rubber hose to the original lines.
Never thought of doing that, thanks. Do you need to drain anti-freeze
from the rad and replace? They are not leaking yet, by the dealers report, but he said they will need attention. Thanks for the input.