Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Default Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

Hi, '01 Montero Limited 3.5L. I am in the process of changing out the timing belt. Got all the diagrams and step by step procedures. But I cannot take the crankshaft pulley bolt off, before I go and put an impact wrench to it, I wanted to ask if maybe this was a Left hand threaded bolt. It doesn't make sense that is would be , but I wanted to ask first.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:46 PM

Regular (RH) thread. Good luck with the impact wrench - I had to build a tool (similar to the one in the diagrams) to hold the pulley. But then again my 30 year-old Sears compressor doesn't have much oomph left.

Ron

Old 09-23-2009, 04:13 PM

Just dealt with it today. You might find CRC Freeze Off pretty useful in getting the pulley off if it's stuck.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:10 AM
Default Holy Cow

Man, I tried to use an impact wrench and the *&^%& won't turn. I only have a 15 gallon compressor, So I put everything back together and driving the truck to work and will use the big industrial compressor we have here. but I will spray some of the CRC on it to help. But holy cow, it that bolt in there good!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 01:28 PM

Yes......tight indeed!

Someone told me an impact wrench would work but I had the same experience as you. Once I had the pulley locked with my tool, I still had to use a five foot pipe slipped over my breaker bar.

Hope the shop compressor works.

Ron

Old 01-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Default Bringing an older thread back from the dead

Is there anyone with experience on removing the crankshaft pulley bolt above? I have a 2001 Montero Sport and my impact wrench is not budging that front crank bolt. I'm thinking about springing for a stronger impact but the thought of the bolt breaking is not a pleasant one. Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Old 02-01-2010, 08:09 AM
tdf

Mine came off with 100 psi setting on my compressor and a 1/2 inch impact wrench.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:16 AM

Do not use the starter and a breaker bar. I tried this and broke the bolt. I almost had to scrap the truck. Get a better impact gun it will be worth it, trust me.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Default Crankshaft Pulley Bolt

OK - trying to remove the damn crankshaft pulley bolt on a motor that is out of the car on an engine stand. Impact is turning the motor over. Any other ideas?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:03 AM

I feel like I should share my experience. I was able to get the crank pulley bolt off with a very large breaker bar. I'm actually a certified mechanic, but I guess I'm so stuck in my mentality that my impact will get everything off I didn't think a breaker would do it if my impact couldn't. I even tried a brand spankin new (and powerful) Snap-On 1/2 drive impact, to no avail.

I agree too with the guy above, using the starter trick on this particular application is not a good idea. The pulley bolt is unusual in that it sticks out 3-4" from the surface of the pulley, and if there is any large force on it other than perfectly rotational, it's gonna break. And then you have a nightmare (an expensive one too) on your hands.

I also fabricated a with my welder and some scrap steel for holding the pulley. It has two 10mm holes 180 degrees apart, and is the best way for holding the crank of said engine.

So to the guy with the engine on stand, put on the crank pulley/harmonic balancer, and hold it with a tool.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt