Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Crankshaft timing sprocket-How??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 04:40 PM
Default Crankshaft timing sprocket-How??

Hi all,

I did a full Head job and timing belt last January on my daughters Sport with 258k on it. Ran like a dream untl last week she started dripping oil like a seive. It blew the front crank seal and I have it all tore down to the crank sprocket. Any idea how to remove it to get to the seal?? I've PB blasted it and tapped it with a hammer, no luck. Why didn't Mitsubishi put screw holes in it so somebody could use a puller??

Any help would be great-
thanks!

Old 11-15-2016, 05:21 AM

Post 77 of this link shows the front crank seal of a 3.5L 6G74 is actually part of the oil pump. If yours is like this and you have torn it down this far, then removing the oil pump to push the seal out from the back side should be straight forward. Take note of the o-ring on the back of the pump.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mi...l-48920/page8/

Old 11-15-2016, 08:57 AM

Both crankshaft sprocket (with the harmonic ballancer) and the camshaft timing gear come out without having to use pullers. Once you remove the big sprocket (one large bolt in the middle), you'll be able to get to the timing gear. That one can be tough if you have bunch of corrosion holding it to the crankshaft. Just be patient, PB it again... Let it soak and try to wiggle the gear forward and backward on the shaft. It will eventually move and slide right off the shaft.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:38 AM

Thanks Guys.
So, The sprocket was rusted to the shaft and PB did loosen it a little bit. How I got it off was, I used two stainless 2 1/2 "hose clamps and clamped them around the sprocket using a 1/4" drive with 5/16" socket to tighten them down good, and put the tighteners opposing each other (2 o'clock and 8 o'clock). I then took a small 2 arm bearing puller http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ler-66868.html and slightly modified it with longer 10mm screws. It took 3 tries, (clamps pulled off and had to re-position them) to pull the sprocket off, but I got it off. I then took emery cloth and cleaned the shaft and inner sprocket and lubed them with grease. It gently slid back on when I put it back on the shaft (I like it when that happens). Whole process took 2 hours, but I did get it.

Turns out the seal was so old and dried out that it was spinning around in the block and it kinda just fell out when I pulled it out with a small stainless screw. The new seal went in snug and like a champ. Since I was in there, I replaced the Crankshaft position sensor (http://www.carparts.com/details/Mits...15-04-PLK.html) and removed the oil filter mount assembly and made a new gasket for it. I was going to do a YouTube video of the process, but my phone was dead. Oh well, hope this thread can help somebody.

Thanks for the responses!

Last edited by musicmanjer; 11-15-2016 at 11:46 AM.