Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Crazy Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Default Crazy Lights

I have a 1998 Montero Sport. Recently the battery light and A/T light have been coming on. The battery died and I replaced it thinking that would clear the lights. Put my code reader on it. Nothing. Any ideas?

Old 10-02-2009, 10:50 PM

your alternator is ging out. not recharging the battery. thos 2 lights come on when the voltage is very low in the charging system. usually oil leaking onto the alternator is the culprit. cam seal on that side leaks directly onto the alternator. also valve cover gaskets can leak onto it too. if it has a oil leak you have to fix it, or oil will ruin your new alternator. dealer nor parts houses will not warranty an alternator with oil contamination.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:43 PM

I had an issue that the mechanic swore was oil from the engine gaskets. Had those replaced and still same problem.

Found it was actually from the oil cooler return line spraying upward somehow....onto the alternator and surrounding parts...maybe air / fan?

When the leak wasn't bad all I would smell was strange oil burned smell and could never find it. Including the dealership.

It took the leak to get worse for me to find it. when it got worse much more was ending up on the exhaust, causing blue smoke and dripping but not a constant drip and only usually after driving in town.

Took me to get under the car, remove the protector covers, and started looking at where the oil was centered. Pulled on the trans oil return line and realized the clamp on there wasn't holding the line on. In fact the line was almost completely backed off the tube. Put a new clamp on and wiped everything down.