Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Door Panel Armrest Repair - 1997 Montero

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Default Door Panel Armrest Repair - 1997 Montero

The door panel armrest on my 1997 Montero (full-size) is giving out, I avoid using it so the vinyl doesn't rip through. I finally fixed this issue for less than $12.00.

This is a common problem for older cars/trucks and really was an easy fix without having to send it off the the upholstery shop and thankfully the vinyl on the outside of the door panel wasn't damaged yet.

Upon replacing the door actuator I inspected the door panel inside and the molding of where your armrests on the door panel is all cracked and the support is damaged. Eventually this will give out and I knew I just had to come up with a way to reinforce the underside door panel molding where the armrest is.

I went to the local hobby store and bought bonding epoxy, the type you mix the two compounds together and they create the solid bond. I happened to used the quick 5 minute set (actual name is Extreme Power 5 Minute Epoxy) but the 20 minute probably would have been better since the product literally hardens in 5 minutes and your unable to use it. I was quick when applying but made sure it was all aligned best I could prior to creating the mixture.

Here's what I did - on the underside of the door panel I used light force to mold all the cracks on the back of the door panel back in there proper alignment, which mine was cracked, no missing pieces with the worst part being the corner mold of the armrest. I mixed my 2 Epoxys 50/50 in small glass container (use something you expect to discard and won't react to the epoxy). The glass container worked great for mixing the two compounds, I used a 1/2 inch wood stick (like the one the doctor puts on your tongue and makes you say ahhhh) from the craft store to mix the epoxy - note wear a latex glove. After mixing I applied the epoxy to the damaged underside backing of the armrest, creating a layer over the cracked areas and around the area creating a support, then I coated it again, used my hand with the latex glove on and gently rubbed the epoxy in and around the cracked area for just a few seconds. By the time I finished this the adhesive in my jar was already setting and unusable but not set enough where I could throw out the semi solid epoxy and reuse the jar if I needed another coat, which I didn't.

It's been over 30 minutes and the epoxy worked perfectly, probably stronger than the rest of the door panel and ready to re-installed.

The door panel is super easy to remove; remove the screw covers on the door handle and unscrew the two screws (phillips screwdriver), then unscrew the screw holding in the door handle and remove. Pop out the two door panel clips close to the fender/mirror, these broke when I did it, so be-careful and if they happen to break no biggie since they don't play an important part in holding the door panel on. Once complete, pry the door panel back at the bottom corner opposite the door speaker, you should use to much force and you'll start to hear the door clips pop out of place and work your way to free up all 3 sides; then lift up some force to pop out the window molding clips, it's really easy. Once completed unplug the door/window switch and the door light and your door panel is now removed and ready to repair.

Hope this helps others - 1997 Full Size Montero LS 146K miles