Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Engine Computer Idle Reset procedure

Old 08-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Default Engine Computer Idle Reset procedure

I changed my battery on my Mits. Montero Sport 1998. The car is not idleing and I've put about 5 batteries in this car now so I know this is a common thing. The last time I took it in the mechanic said you have to go through a complex reset procedure in the car whenever you change the battery so that the car will relearn its idle position. He explained to me then but I don't remember it. I do know it was something like you turn on the hazard lights and the parking brake and the main headlights on and other stuff and you have to turn the AC on full blast, do x for so long, y for so long, and viola. It was crazy...even the mechanic said it was the crazest thing of any of his car reset procedures. The car has to have an "up-idle" position for the A/C and it has to calibrate this when the power is removed from the computer.

He said you could look up the procedure on the Internet and find it but I can't.

I hate to have to spend $100 everytime I change the battery. Does anyone have this procedure...I can't believe Mit. did not put this is the owners manual. I want to print it out and tape it to my manual.

Right now, unless the A/C is on full blast the car won't idle reliably...its ok some of the time, some of the time its not, depending on engine load.

I read alot of threads on the Internet with people having the problem and no-one seems to be writing what the procedure is. The mechanic says the key is the procedure...if that doesn't work, then, and only then do you need to clean the throttle bottle.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

Your 'mechanic' is a ****ing retard.

Simply drive the car, and it will relearn.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:51 PM

Well hard to believe he is a retard since he was able to fix this problem doing the procedure last time in the 4 hours I left it with him for $65. Here is their website, if you want to call them up and tell them they are retards. http://www.japanesemotorsports.net/about.html

Anyway, I've driven the car now for 4-5 days and I don't believe it relearned anything so far. It won't run on idle except when its cold or with the A/C on. Yesterday I cleaned the carb throat with carb cleaner because everyone believes this will fix the problem. Unhooked the battery, removed the air cleaner and cleaned the throttle body to a nice brass color. Didn't do anything...in fact, because I disconnected the battery, I suppose it probably made things worse if it had learned something in 4-5 days.

According to the mechanic, the procedure that the mechanic followed basically allows the computer to learn everything in 20 mins instead of a week of driving and stopping at every traffic light.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:07 PM

Well I just checked with Mitsubishi service and they said there is a procedure but the only way to follow the procedure is a with an engine scanner.

They say the engine will NOT relearn the idle without the scanner ($89). So maybe Mitsubishi service are also retards.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:38 PM

My alternator was replaced in Jan. I had the same problems, turns out there was build up in the TB. Once that was cleaned out No problem.

In July The alternator was replaced AGAIN and no problem.. This past week, Battery and Alternator was changed and NO problem.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:36 PM

Well I have had the same issue with my Monty, but Sebba is right about the vehicle re-learning, once I drove it around for a few days it was fine and back to normal for me. Now if you continue to have idle problems the the idle air motor might be bad (or whatever the part that controls the idle).

Old 10-04-2011, 10:32 PM

If your montero wont idle let it cool down completely. Then Start it and the cold fast idle should take control, allow it to run until it goes to normal idle on it's own dont do anthing. dont have lights or air conditioning on you dont wont any extra load on the engin this will cause the conputer to make bad calculation resulting in a bad idle speed calculaton. Just let it run for 10 to 15 mins. This should do the trick.

Montero Sport es

Love my monty

Last edited by wyattg42; 10-04-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:22 PM

When the battery dies or is disconnected, the idle adaptive memory is erased and the idle air control (IAC) motor starts at a nearly closed position. If there is carbon and/or oil build-up around the throttle plate, the amount of air that can flow past it is limited, which causes the poor or erratic idle.

YOU JUST NEED TO CLEAN THE THROTTLE BODY AND THROTTLE PLATE.

Read the first FAQ on this page:

Montero Sport Online Forum - F A Q- Updated 3/12/05

Old 10-05-2011, 10:51 PM

i called them up to tell them they are retards and they asked if i had talked to codeaholic ???? then they started laughing

Old 11-01-2016, 07:47 PM
Default Idle relearn

Hello, I have a 2003 Montero Sport es
I can start car but it cuts of if it's not moving, it only stays on if I have my foot on the gas. Do I keep my foot on the gas for 15min until it relearns?

Originally Posted by wyattg42
If your montero wont idle let it cool down completely. Then Start it and the cold fast idle should take control, allow it to run until it goes to normal idle on it's own dont do anthing. dont have lights or air conditioning on you dont wont any extra load on the engin this will cause the conputer to make bad calculation resulting in a bad idle speed calculaton. Just let it run for 10 to 15 mins. This should do the trick.

Montero Sport es

Love my monty