Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Engine idles very low and stalls when I come to a stop.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Default Engine idles very low and stalls when I come to a stop.

What should I be checking first? The SUV starts and runs fine initially, but after driving a few miles with modest RPMs, when I come to a stop and hold the brake pedal while it's still in gear, the RPMs dip very low and it usually stalls. When it does stall, I can start it right back up with no problems. The only way I can keep it running is by switching to N and revving the engine a little....which is a pain in the *** in stop and go traffic!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

EDIT: It's a 2000 Montero Sport, BTW...

Last edited by Jayc71; 07-18-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:01 PM

Seems to be a farily common problem - but fortunately I've not had to deal with it (yet) Do a search here for Idle Air Controller or IAC, There is also an idle adjustment solenoid on top of the throttle body that steps up the idle when the a/c is on. Don't recall what it's called but it should be checked out. Finally, there are lots of reports that cleaning the throttle body is the first place to start. Google "Montero Idle problems" and you will get lots of hits.

Hope this helps.

Ron

Old 07-19-2010, 02:25 PM

Hi, thanks for taking the time to help out! I started doing some digging on the IAC and idle problems like you mentioned and that sounds exactly like what is happening. I'll try cleaning out the IAC and trottle body and see if that fixes it. If not.... I'll be back asking dumb questions agian

Are there any walkthroughs on this site for maintenance like this? Don't want to miss anything.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:28 PM

So I took apart the IAC and it was completely covered in gunk. After I cleaned it off it was a different color, it was pretty bad. After I put everything back together I took it for a drive and after a few stops it readjusted itself and was idling just fine. Good call, thanks for the info. Instead of paying $75/hr and $200 for a new part, its idling just fine after about 30 minutes of work and a $20 air filter.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:13 PM

Glad to hear it - thanks for your follow up! This may have inspired me to check and clean mine.

Ron

Old 07-10-2017, 09:32 AM

hi, i have exacrtly the same problem, but my Montero is 2005 3.8 liter. i changed the throttle body, fuel filter, and the problem persist. any help please. thanks.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:45 AM
Default Engine idles very low and stalls when I come to a stop.

What should I be checking first? The SUV starts and runs fine initially, but after driving a few miles with modest RPMs, when I come to a stop and hold the brake pedal while it's still in gear, the RPMs dip very low and it usually stalls. When it does stall, I can start it right back up with no problems. The only way I can keep it running is by switching to N and revving the engine a little....which is a pain in the *** in stop and go traffic!

is a MOntero 2005 3.8L

Any ideas?

Old 07-11-2017, 04:42 PM

Apart from the IACV the TPS can also cause an issue at idle. I haven't worked on my 3.8 l Pajero as its runs and idles fine but other vehicles required a test and clean of both IACV and TPS sensor. When you state that the TB was changed did you clean and test all the components or simply swap over?

jim

Old 07-11-2017, 04:49 PM

I changed the TB.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:52 PM

this montero 2005-2006 year not have IACV

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine idles very low and stalls when I come to a stop.