Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Engine knock - headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Default Engine knock - headgasket?

Video here >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT6E09q-lQ8

I had this 98 Mitsubishi Montero Sport LS 3.0L V6 for a month or so and noticed a slight tap/tick noise. I checked the oil pressure and it would dip low probably below 10psi.. you'll see what I mean if you check the video. I figured the oil was just bad so I changed it out as well as a new filter and I was back on the road and all was good. That is until after I drove about 5-600 miles and then it started again! Slight at first, then louder and louder. My best guess is a cracked head gasket leaking antifreeze into the oil causing a bad bearing? Or a really crappy oil pump? Has anyone had a similar problem or can offer some insight?

Old 09-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Banned

There is an easy way to check the head gasket issue. Simply get a compression tester.

Either that or the old school ways. Check under the oil cap for a white goop, and watch for bubbles coming from the radiator.

Personally that sounds to me like a stuck lifter. I bet this thing was majorly starved of oil at some point.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like rod knock but its hard to tell from the video. What oil did you put back in it?

Old 09-24-2009, 01:04 AM

Like Sebba said, if it was a cracked head or leaking gasket there would be coolant in the oil and/or tan goop inside the oil filler cap.

That type of problem is rare on these engines but what is very common is what what Sebba also said - stuck lifter or, in the case of Mitsu terminology, Valve Lash Adjuster or VLA. I had the same thing twice when I let the oil level get very low - something your PO probably did.

It sounds exactly like a bottom end knock - very scary but that also is something that almost never happens. Try this fix - which is also advised in the official factory service manual. I'd bet it fixes your noise problem - at least it worked both times for me.

http://www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/te.../lifter_noise/

Ron

Old 09-24-2009, 10:18 AM

If the problem comes and goes, I doubt if it's rod knock or anything like that. Look at the common problems in these engines first, namely lifters and the timing belt tensioner. Do a compression test but it's not likely to be the head gasket. After you've eliminated that and the VLA fix jrmdir posted above, I would check into the timing belt tensioner. If it's time for a timing belt, just replace the tensioner with a new one (along with the belt and water pump) and I'll bet the noise goes away.

Last edited by challenger4x4; 09-24-2009 at 10:21 AM.