Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Engine Problem

Old 04-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Default Engine Problem

This Car has been a money pit for the past 2 years.

Ok, The car shakes at idle, the shop told me its coming from either my harmonic balancer or that crank shaft itself..

A little history on the car,
- about 1.5 years ago, the crank shaft pulley popped off some way some how. My fiance's neighbor showed them, and he put it back on for temporary use... A couple months later [March 2009], My fiance's mother brought it to the shop, got the crankshaft pulley, harmonic balancer, timing belt and water pump replaced.
- This March//April, Car has been having some electrical problems, so i brought it to a shop that specializes in Auto Electric.. They fixed the problem and noticed that the car shakes at idle and they stated it was coming from either the harmonic balancer or the crankshaft its self..

Ok, I brought it to the dealer, and they want 495 to do a complete tear down of the engine, and they said depending on if its the crankshaft or the harmonic balancer or anything else, it will probably run me $1300 to $1500 dollars, unless there is a lot of play in the engine then I would have to buy a new engine..

- Should I just go ahead and replace the engine itself??
If so, where Can i purchase on?
- Or should i pay for a complete tear down of the vehicle to check whats wrong with the vehicle?
- Should I trade the car in as is, and get a new one...

** i keep finding these engines online, but they don't look like the one thats already in the car.. This is what i find... " Mitsubishi JDM 6G74 DOHC 3.0L 1993+ 3000GT / GTO / Stealth / Montero / Gallant Engine Only 1993 - 1997
Code: JDM 6G74 DOHC 3.0L 1993+ 3000GT / GTO / Stealth / Montero / Gallant Engine Only Year: 1993 - 1997 Car: Mitsubishi 3000GT / GTO / Dodge Stealth / Montero / Gallant Price: $1,100

this isnt the right engine correct?

Old 04-16-2010, 11:07 PM

what year is the montero?? what motor? 3.0 3.5??? the motor in that picture is a DOHC out of a diamante or a 3000. not a montero. the pulley comming off was a common problem on the montero if you did not torque the crank bolt to 134LBS if you did a timming belt job. the bolt comes loose and destroys the threads in the crankshaft. sometimes you can retap the threads, but in most cases the crankshaft has to be replaced. cant make the decision for you to trade in, but if it were me and i had the money to do so, i would let the dealer do a teardown and see if the crank can be saved, cheaper than buying a new vehicle anyway