Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Faq How-to: Cheap Install Of Door Speakers On 2001-2006 Montero, WITH PICTURES

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Thumbs up Faq How-to: Cheap Install Of Door Speakers On 2001-2006 Montero, WITH PICTURES

Ok I recently got my Montero and unlike every other vehicle out there, the forums are very lacking for this vehicle. There are not as much active members or resources for the 2001-2006 USA Montero (NOT MONTERO SPORT).

As you see a few topics down I inquired/searched on info on car audio. There really was no info at all. I am very familiar in the stock Infinity amp wiring with Mitsubishi's since the harness has not changed since 95. And after consulting the service manual I was correct.

So I started changing the speakers first. I found out that the doors have 6.5" speakers. Easy enough.

It is a task removing the door panels if you care about not breaking any of those clips. Consider yourself lucky if you manage to remove the door panel without any of the clips breaking.

Removal of the door panels reveal something like this

Name:  montyspeak08.jpg
Views: 11626
Size:  73.1 KB

I'm not going too crazy with the stereo system, something simple on a budget.

The speakers don't mount directly on the door, but are attached on this which is attached to the door

Name:  montyspeak01.jpg
Views: 7748
Size:  77.5 KB

Simple enough, at least I had thought..

I go to replace my speaker and this is the outcome

Name:  montyspeak00.jpg
Views: 7381
Size:  59.5 KB

You can see the stock infinity speaker is actually a little oversized. I tried 3 different brands of aftermarket speakers labeled as 6.5" and their mounting points were no where close. I wish i had an 8" woofer to see if it would directly bolt on, which would be nice for the components up front.

I did not want to build an adapter since I did not have the tools to do so. They sold adapters specifically for these cases but were ~$15+ for a pair. So we would be needing 2 pairs.

So after looking this is what I came up with.

Name:  montyspeak02.jpg
Views: 6334
Size:  89.1 KB

With a small flat head, you will need to pry out the speaker from the surround as so.

You will then end up with this..

Name:  montyspeak03.jpg
Views: 6152
Size:  77.0 KB

Then with a dremel/rotary tool, you will want to shave down those tabs until it is flat.

Name:  montyspeak04.jpg
Views: 6131
Size:  53.2 KB

Above I left one tab to show you how you need to make it flat like the rest I already did.

Now if you want a stock like install, here you see I soldered the positive and negative wire that will connect to the aftermarket speaker terminals.

Name:  montyspeak05.jpg
Views: 6322
Size:  59.4 KB

The positive is on the clip side, meaning it is on the side where you press the clip to release it. This goes for all the door speakers

Next I just got some black RTV and applied a generous amount around like so

Name:  montyspeak06.jpg
Views: 6147
Size:  71.3 KB

Let is dry. This is so when you press the speaker in it will seal all the air holes/pockets/etc.

Name:  montyspeak07.jpg
Views: 7079
Size:  83.7 KB

What is happening is the aftermarket speaker is sandwiched in-between the plastic surround from the old speaker and the metal housing. After you screw it down, you are now ready to install it back on the car and plug in the stock harness like so..

Name:  montyspeak09.jpg
Views: 12836
Size:  70.4 KB

NOTE, the front door speakers do not utilize the metal plate like the rear doors.

You can see that here

Name:  montyspeak10.jpg
Views: 7091
Size:  61.8 KB

So it is sandwiched directly with the door. Still the same process, but you just have to be careful when aligning it.

Good luck

Last edited by redturboeclipse; 08-16-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:49 PM

The sub at the rear panel next to the cup holders is another story buti am pretty much satisfied with the infinity speakers, loud enough not to hear my kids scream during long trips

Old 08-26-2009, 01:08 AM

Hey this was very helpful with pics and step to step guide, since I think my door speakers are giving out. Do you perhaps have a guide with pics on how to replace the very back speaker, it has completely blown. Oh and I have a 03 Montero (NOT MONTERO SPORT).

Old 08-28-2009, 09:08 AM

Very back speaker? The stock sub?

Lets just say it is VERY VERY VERY tedious job. Just to get to the rear speaker you have to remove A LOT of stuff.

You have to remove the 3rd row seat, the board covering it,t he carpet, and if you are scared of forcing things out even the storage bin that houses the 3rd row. Pop out the upper panel because its overlapping the lower side panel.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:26 PM

I know this is an old post but how did you remove the door panels? I don't want to break anything, and I can't seem to find a good guide on how to remove the rear door panels off.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:09 PM

A plastic ruler is helpful popping out the tabs. Or even those wooden paint mixers you get for free at Home Depot.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
A plastic ruler is helpful popping out the tabs. Or even those wooden paint mixers you get for free at Home Depot.
yeah but I still don't see any type of instructions on how to remove the door panels, as I don't want to break anything while taking them off.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:45 AM
Banned

Google it, and buy a trim removal tool.