Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Faulty timing belt tensioner: failure mimics VLA Lash Tappet

Old 06-06-2016, 03:35 AM
Default Faulty timing belt tensioner: failure mimics VLA Lash Tappet

I have a 2003 Montero Limited with 3.8L. 171,000 miles.

Please give me your opinion on the best Montero timing belt kit name brands / manufacturer. 12,000 miles ago I replaced all the timimg kit components and already the dang tensioner failed causing this resource to go down. This is perhaps a crappy brand... Bought off of eBay. I want to buy the best brand now, whatever that is is

Do you have a tapping noise that goes away at certain RPMs, say around 2,900, and the noise returns loudly like perfect under 2,900? Then please remove the driver side timing belt cover and observe the timing belt while the Montero runs. If it's flapping around inside that's all it takes.

I just needlessly replaced 24 tappets / valve lash adjusters because the timing belt tensioner failure copied the symptom exactly. 20 hours... Gone, lol

My timing belt is just the perfect looseness that allows the top (smooth) surface of the timing belt to slap the side belt cover a little to make thw tapping noise. I'm also guessing when I replace the belt, idler and tensioner that I'll see evidence of the tensioner piston rattling and contributing to the noise as well.

Well, at least my rocker covers got cleaned and I confirmed the top end was not damaged!

Old 06-06-2016, 05:26 AM

I bought AISIN TKM-003 which is a kit and it included the tensioner. The tensioner has "NTN" cast on its side. I got it from Rock Auto

This brand was recommended to me by a Mitsubishi tech on another forum I frequent.

I have not yet started me engine (still rebuilding) so clue if it really is a quality piece.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:20 AM

I used OEM Mitsubishi tensioner when my original failed. Sorry that you have been chasing the wrong symptom. When you described the "tapping" noise - we all assumed you are talking about the VLA noise. I would describe the tensioner failure noise as "slapping" and loud rattling that is very scary. First time I heard that noise - I immediately shut off the engine and popped the hood to see if there was a dead cat in there.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:42 AM

Yeah it was my mistake. I'll never assume the part I just replaced can't be the failure. I should have taken 20 minutes and pulled the dang covers off. Lol

What was REALLY WEIRD is the noise initially would stop for a day or two after I performed the revving - bleed procedures. That's what really tricked me into being sure it was the VLAs...oh well lived and learned.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:50 PM

Are you sure the tensioner failed or was it not set right? When the tensioner is torqued st installation, the grenade pin is freely removed as the plunger has been pushed in slightly.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by larry4406
Are you sure the tensioner failed or was it not set right? When the tensioner is torqued st installation, the grenade pin is freely removed as the plunger has been pushed in slightly.
I think the only true way to check that is to remove the tensioner and compress it. Would you believe, my failed one was compressible by hand :O
You are 100% correct - on the properly installed new one the pin slipped right out like nothing was holding it at all.