Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

front cam seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Question front cam seal replacement

hello everyone,
i would like to know if anyone has a good idea of how to remove the passenger side cam gear on 2002 montero sport 3.0 so i can replace cam seal.
my thinking is to leave the timing belt on and break the bolt loose for the cam gear but i need to make sure it is not reverse threaded. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:15 AM

To replace the cam seal you need to remove the timing belt. The timing belt will need to be removed to get the cam gears off, then the seals replaced. Typically only the passenger side over the alternator leaks. The driver side seems to last 2x as long at a minimum. Only use Mitsubishi cam seals. Anticipate 4-5 hours in labor to replace these. You will want to put a new timing belt on since it is off anyway unless it was just done.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:47 AM

thank you jeff,
i have to go in and replace the water pump and was going to replace cam seal while i was in there timing belt i have already replaced along with water pump_ that is now bad - as well as all pulleys with timing belt but i was curious to know how to break the bolt loose for cam gear and how to keep the gear from turning, so i thought that if i left the timing belt on long enough to break that bolt loose then take the belt off and continue the job. just wasnt sure if the timing belt being in place and tensioned if that would be enough to hold gear in place and break the bolt loose, the bolt only has 17 ftlbs of torque according to repair manual

Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Default Front cam seals

Has anyone ever tried mopar cam seals.they put these engines in chrysler cars.just wondering if they are as good.need to do my grandaughters 97 sport.thanks bill fields