Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Has anyone changed the tans fluid/ filter on an 01 limited?

Old 02-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Default Has anyone changed the tans fluid/ filter on an 01 limited?

I'm wondering if I have to remove the cross member to get to the bolts on the front of the pan? I may be able to remove the bolts without dropping the cross member, but not if they're too long.

Also, there's some sort of RTV sealer around the pan. I have a gasket with the kit and no instructions or FSM. I'm not the original owner, so I'm wondering if the sealant is from the factory?

Old 02-06-2015, 01:32 PM

I found and read through a FSM for an 03 with the same 5 speed and apparently I do have to remove the cross member/trans support. As far as I can tell the FSM doesn't list an interval for changing the filter. Why isn't there a recommended interval? The truck has around 170k miles and I have no proof that it has ever been changed.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:55 PM

I have done transmission fluid replacement on my '01 Montero Limited. I did not do the pan drop and filter replacement, just fluid drain and refill. The way that is done is by disconnecting the transmission coolant lines and running the engine to pump out the fluid.
My guess is that if transmission was not abused and has no mechanical damage (chunks floating inside), there is no reason to replace the filter. If you keep up with the recommended fluid replacement intervals, you should be good to go with just that procedure. As far as I know our local dealership was doing the fluid replacement exactly the same way.
If you do drain the fluid via cooling lines and find that it is in a very bad condition and there is some foreign material there, then you may want to drop the pan in order to replace the filter and do further investigating of the causes.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:24 PM

Thanks, That's basically what the FSM says as well. The maintenance records came with the truck. The previous owner, a family member, had the filter changed at ~80k. He told me it was a 60k maintenance interval, and the work was done at Mitsubishi dealer in TX. Apparently he had the filter changed twice before I got it. I already bought the filter, so I'll probably go ahead and do it.

Did you have to flush the cooler out, or did it pump itself clean? The FSM says there can sometimes be a problem clearing the entire system, or something to that effect.

Last edited by _it___is_i; 02-06-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:37 AM

If you use the self pump out method, it doesn't remove 100% of fluid. This method works best when you do it before the fluid goes south. If I recall correctly most of the fluid pumped out (based on how much I had to add to get to full level, so it must have emptied the cooler at least partially.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:56 AM

The self pump method worked great! Everything came apart perfectly and there was very little left in the pan. The pan didn't have a rubber gasket, just pink RTV which was a pain in the *** to get completely off.

I haven't put it back together yet because while I was under there I noticed a coolant leak from a T fitting in the heater hoses, which I assume are headed to a rear heater core. Of course no one had the part. After three different parts stores I finally found a decent replacement but I ran out of day light.

Now I just have to decide if I'm going to use the gasket that came with the filter kit, just use RTV, or use both.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:44 PM
Default T fitting?

What side of the tran did you find that fitting? I have a coolant leak coming from above the trans. and can't find the source.
Sorry to jump in but that could really help me out!
H
I noticed a coolant leak from a T fitting in the heater hoses,