Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Hatch won't Latch

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Default Hatch won't Latch

I have a 2002 Montero Sport. The rear hatch door will not latch when I close it. This happened last year and shortly after I had to replace the battery. The hatch latch began working properly again with the new battery. Now it's happening again but the battery is still good. I oiled and greased the parts, so they are not rusted closed. Could it be an electrical problem or is it just coincidence that it stopped working when the battery went dead?
Thanks for your input.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:02 PM

Not that familiar with the Sport. Is there an electric latch release button in the driver's area? If not then it has to be a mechanical problem with the latch. If so, then it could be that the un-latch solenoid is stuck open or for some reason has constant voltage supplied - which could be a bad switch.

I know this is not much help. But look carefully at the latch-hook assy in the door and see if the hook is being held open permanently. You can use use a screwdriver or metal rod to push into the gap and see if it closes around the screwdriver (simulating what happens when it strikes the male catch in the car body. If it fails to snap around then work backward thru the linkage and/or solenoids to find out why.

Or it could be that the male catch in the car body has loosened and has moved out of the proper location to meet the latch opening.

Ron

Old 06-07-2011, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the info. There isn't a seperate switch to unlatch the hatch (liftgate). It unlocks with the remote key fob or with the unlock switch on the door that unlocks all the doors. I can move the part with a screwdriver so that it locks on the screwdriver. So, mechanically i can move it back and forth. The mateing piece is not out of place.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:02 AM

I took the vehicle to a trusted repair shop. They said the problem is the mechanical latch. They are trying to locate a replacement part.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:14 AM

Glad you identified the problem. See my post below in the "Radio Volume ****" thread for some Montero Sports that are being parted out + a link to one of the bigger Mitsu wrecking yards.

Ron