Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Help! 2001 Montero XLS -- Wheel Bearing / ABS problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Default Help! 2001 Montero XLS -- Wheel Bearing / ABS problem?

Hello all,

So long story short, I had a wheel bearing problem on my front left wheel that was fixed a few months ago. About a month later my car started having symptoms again. That is, whenever I brake, the car does stop but it makes a sound like it had a hard time stopping and the wheel moves back slightly about 1/8 inch (small but enough you can hear and feel it). On a decline it is even more pronounced.

I stop by Midas today, and they take a look. They want to do an ABS diagnostic because it may be that the wheel (center ring?) is not functioning properly (I am paraphrasing). I did not talk to the tech that looked at my car but the guy at the front, he did not know how to explain it very well. My brake light has been on for years and no one has been able to tell me why.

They also pulled the following codes:

32 - G Senor system
22 - LF Wheel Speed Sensor Erratic
21 - RF Wheel Speed Sensor Erratic
C52 - ABS Valve Relay Circuit Open
- Diag. Struts shock is blown

(I wrote this verbatim)

I did not get the ABS checked because it cost money and I wanted to come here first.

I am a 2001 Montero XLS with 168k miles, aside from the high miles it runs great.

My question is:

1. Does anyone understand all this and know what I may be up against?

2. Is it my ABS system that is causing the wheel bearing problem? What should I do??

Thanks!