Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Help with purchase???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 07:26 PM
Smile Help with purchase???

So i'm looking at buying a montero sport and while i've read some good things about them, i've read a few bad ones as well. I know with all vehicles there are good and bad so i wanted too see if anyone had some tips for when i go to check out the sport. I'm looking at a 2002 Sport XLS AWD with 112000 miles. It looks to be in pretty good shape (even though there are some burns on the carpet where the owner smoked.) The owner says everything works and i am welcome to take it to a mechanic if i like (I'm a mechanic lol...just never messed with a montero). The price is $2800 which according to KBB is a fair price. Can anyone help with some advice on what to look for when i go look and test drive it as well as what kind of maintenance am i looking at doing if i do buy it. THANKS!!!

Old 10-21-2016, 11:58 AM

Being a mechanic helps a lot, since you know the basic areas to cover. One of the things specific to Montero to check, is the oil leak from the front cam seals, especially the one on the passenger side. A significant oil leak from there often will ruin the alternator. If you have access to a scantool - you can check O2 readings and assess the condition of the catalytic converter. Make sure the 4WD operates and the orange Center Differential (CD) light is not flashing all the time (an indicator of an error). Other than that, they are great and reliable. I wouldn't hesitate looking for another one when time comes.