Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

high idling Montero

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Default high idling Montero

1989 Montero....belongs to my kid...pulling donuts in the mud, wound out in first gear...now 3.0L idle stays at approx 1100 rpm with back firing under load, seems under powered. Have checked timing belt (OK) and distributor (OK) Checked ISC (within parameters) checked TPS (OK) checked timing (5' btdc)throttle body cleaned with seafoam, changed plug leads, temp sensor, and going to change thermostat tonight. No computer codes ( unless I unhook the MAF and/or temp sensor) 180-185 psi on all cyl....If I pull the ISC out and leave it hooked up but plug the hole in the TB it idles right down. (??) Disconnect MAF and it idles down as well, but lacks giddi-up! Any idea's so I can get this kid back on the road so I can finish the heads on my 1940 hot rod.. Do you really have to pull the intake off to access the PCV? Is there a vacuum port somewhere that I can hook a vacuum gauge to to check for manifold leaks. I have the FSM on disc but haven't found anything yet . (Great lil truck , like to see it rollin, not parked. Thanks

Old 11-05-2011, 07:06 PM

I have a 1986 Montero, 3-door, 170,000+ miles, gets around fine but I don't drive it enough anymore, so I am going to sell it to another Montero enthusiast. It's black with grey interior. It also "idles high". Worked on by a private mechanic who has kept it running. New parts on it, clutch pumps, gaskets and whatnot. Even the air conditioner works great. It turned out that the accelerator spring or something was looser than it should be due to age (duh! it's an '86!). When I stop at a light, I only have to lift up the bottom of the accelerator pedal a teeny bit and the idle immediately gets down to normal and stays normal. It probably won't hurt to try this. Good luck with your Montero. I am trying to figure out how to post photos of mine. I'm on east coast USA. Where are you?

never-get-stuck!

Last edited by nevergetstuck; 11-05-2011 at 07:10 PM.