Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

how to add hp and improve gas mileage on 02 montero limited

Old 10-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Default how to add hp and improve gas mileage on 02 montero limited

Just wanted to know if anyone has used ECU chips to add hp and improve gas mileage. I have added a K&N air filter and the truck has had a full tune-up. I still need to replace the idle control value but the part is almost 300 bucks. I have cleaned twice and still get the code back after a few days. I really love driving this suv and 4x4 but the engine is really under powdered for the size.

Any help would be great.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:54 PM

I'm not sure there is much you can actually do...outside of an engine swap.
The Monty is made for low end torque not top end acceleration.
Get the rig out on a 4L drive and you'll see the Monty in its element.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:30 PM

Hey there guy I drove my 02 Limited for about a month and a half and was pleased I got a basic cat back exhaust aside from the nice tone I definitely noticed a better flow (mpg and power). Perhaps add that it only ran me $250. Can I ask what your intake system involves and specifically where you positioned the mass air flow sensor?

Old 11-05-2010, 11:22 PM

cat back exhaust?

no way, i want to see pics of this, on a 3rd gen montero USDM 01-06?

the cat on our car, at least the last one is right below the driver seat area IIRC, that is a nice long route for a catback

and i have not heard of any bolt on system.

im going to safely assume you had custom.

i am interested in pics.

if you do, ill show you the custom intake i did for my 02 limited, which is compatible for 01-06 USDM monteros (not sport, but probably would work)

its a nice clean job, looks legit, doesnt look ghetto, powdercoat gloss black piping, etc.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:35 PM

yeah @ the red turbo eclipse mine is a limited not a sport and yes it's cat back and yes you're right it's under my seat and Im sorry I didnt specify it's not bolt on it was welded/custom but it apparently wasn't hard/didn't take long to do just a few brackets and such and I can really honestly say it does add to fuel and power if I'm wrong then at least a good sound I'll try to snap some pics and post when I find my adapter for my camera

Old 11-07-2010, 06:16 PM

Hey BigBoss,

Can you tell us how much your MPG has increased compared to what you had before the mod? As far as the power increase is concerned, are we talking a significant or slight upswing in power. Is the power increase at the top end, or low, torque end?

There are so few ways to mod a Gen III in the US (other than custom), that many of us are always looking for anything we can get.

Last edited by Mr. Z.; 11-07-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:12 PM

Bigzach, im definitely interested in seeing how they did your exhaust.

Did they remove the muffler under the 2nd row? IIRC there are 2 mufflers, one under 2nd row or a lil pass that then the one right by the back of the exhaust exit.

I changed the big one towards the 2nd row with a magnaflow.. and just that improved throttle response, cant say much about gas mileage.

but it also made the exhaust louder, and noticible especially during cruise, as a family vehicle, for road trips, it may start to be a nuissance. i can only imagine a catback, and also if you removed the muffler (s).

ill show you a photo of the intake on my next post.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:20 PM

@ Mr.Z the power is hard to quantify without electronically measuring but I would say it was anywhere from 8-10. When I first test drove it I was really wary of the power lag since it is very torquey and not crazy the higher rpm you go but after this I would say that this really increased the hp noticeably, and it is low end power, and the mpg (haha with the way I drive) went form an avg of 18 to about 20/21 in rwd stop and go, highway is awesome, and I did a camp trip with two 200lb male friends and packed full in 4h and got 19. I would say it's worth the small investment.

@RedTurbo the shop removed both mufflers ( I didnt even know it had two until they called me and told me and they knew what I was going for) and it runs right underneath the driver's side back and does a slight bend around the back wheel and pops out about where the original tip was. The sound at low end is very very deep and intimidating and has a nice purr as it climbs up (it is an aftermarket exhaust similar to Flowmaster is what they told me) and with the windows closed and radio on up to about 15 you can still hear it. I recently moved from the farm I used to live at and I lost my darn adapter for my sony so Ill have to borrow my girls and snap some pics to show you guys I know words are hard to interpret. The shop that did it again welded a bunch of brackets to stabilize it it was a sweet job

Old 11-09-2010, 10:23 PM

sounds juicy! hahah

I'll need to wait until the weather gets better ill take a shot of my intake.

My only test with this full intake and middle muffler change is this.

I ran into 03+ Montero (NOT SPORT), with the 3.8L and I believe more power. We went at it on a stop light. I pulled on it!

Old 12-28-2010, 06:05 PM

i got a 03 montero limited & i'd love to see those pics of the catback once u get da adapter. i'm looking for big power gains cuz it is waaay under powered till u put it 4LLc. i got an APC exhaust tip, sounds good, not to loud but its good for long trips. no noticeable power gain unsurprisingly. i'm ordering the only computer programmer i can find for our ride around the world. its a Jet V-Force Plus for $260. will post my power gain as soon as it arrives. the web page is http://www.racepages.com/products/?N...488+1676+11920 if anybodies curious.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to add hp and improve gas mileage on 02 montero limited