Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

How to check alternator

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 08:12 PM
Default How to check alternator

Hello thread. Can some one remind me of how to check to see if your/the alternator is good. Do I remove the negative or positive cable while engine is running. Got a new battery a few months ago but it will not maintain a charge.
I use my jump box to charge it at times and it will keep its charge for 4 days and then will need to be jumped again. I need a rear cam leak which I just repaired and I noticed a lot of leaked oil on the underside of the truck, with alot of oil on the bottom of the alternator, though nothing on the belts. Sprayed the area with degreaser, oil remover but I think it might have been to late for that. I appreciate all help.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:11 PM

If you have oil all over the alternator, it is probably dead. Unplugging battery while the engine is running is the old school way to test alternators, but it is not recommended to do on the newer computer controlled cars. The PCMs do not like that too much. The easiest way to test the alternator is to remove it from the vehicle and bring it to the Autozone type of the store. They can put it on the bench tester and check it for you. If you want to test it yourself, you have to have a voltmeter and the ammeter (two separate testers) to go through the testing process.