Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Tools for replacing fuel filter on '01 Montero

Old 07-11-2005, 08:22 AM
Default Tools for replacing fuel filter on '01 Montero

Does anyone know what tools are required to replace fuel filter on '01 Montero Limited.
Thanks

Old 07-11-2005, 10:16 PM
pc
Default RE: Tools for replacing fuel filter on '01 Montero

I don't know specifically but it won't be hard to determine on a visual. If it's hard piped you'll need a metric line wrench and a hose clamp to squeeze off the supply from the tank, assuming it is below the tank level and has a length of hose somewhere from the tank. There will be a couple of bolts or nuts that attach it to a bracket and probably a metal shield to protect it. Get a catch pan to catch the drips and the small amount in the lines. Don't leave the gas in a spot where fumes can accumulate and ignite from a combustion source. As a past volunteer fireman we had a fire once that was caused by a teenager using gasoline to clean parts in a basement. He spilled some gas on the cement floor, it ran downhill to the gas hot water tank. The tank's burner kicked in and whooosh. Fastest trip he ever did up the stairs.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:09 AM

i just swapped my fuel filter and it was a helluva a job. I just remember going through so many parts. I believe vice grips and a wrench took care of the removal

Old 09-26-2005, 06:33 AM

He specifically mentioned a 2001 Montero Limited. The full sized 01 Montero does NOT HAVE a replaceable fuel filter. It has a filter built into the fuel pump module that is located INSIDE THE TANK. If you had a 2001 Montero Sport Limited, that has a fuel filter at the drivers side frame rail at the rear, just beneath the rear passener door. It requires a 19MM wrench to hold the filter, a 14mm flair nut wrench to loosen the fitting. That is for the fuel filter inlet. The outlet side you'll just need to pinch with your fingers as you push the filter into the hose... it's a quick release type fitting. 2 12mm bolts hold the filter in place... and it's out. Reverse the procedure for installation.

Joel, CA

Old 10-01-2005, 10:01 PM

Hi,
I do not mean to sound stupid, but I was SOOO happy to read your response detailing the location for the Fuel Filter for the Montero Sport. I have a 2000 and I hope that the procedure that you describe will be the same. I have been looking for a stinkin' hour and reading all type of responses and Not a Single one provided that information (The Location for the thing..) THANK YOU SO MUCH...!

Do I have to Relieve Pressure or anything like that prior to replacing the filter? I know very little about this thing and I read somewhere about making certain that one Relieves Pressure by some unfamiliar means before removing the Fuel Filter. Can you help me please.

Take care.

Nuke

Old 03-06-2012, 06:10 PM

Just to add something visual for people like me who needs to see what we are dealing with. Hahaha! Like Joel_CA said and it's pretty straight forward!

Name:  oldfuelFilter.jpg
Views: 7387
Size:  133.6 KB

Name:  fuelFilter3.jpg
Views: 12322
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  fuelFilter2.jpg
Views: 8496
Size:  71.0 KB

Name:  fuelFilter1.jpg
Views: 12093
Size:  80.6 KB

Old 05-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Default Quick connect tool

Terylsdad, thanks for the photos. Im helping my son change the fuel filter on his 2000 Montero Sport and we are having a hard time disconnecting the quick connect side of the filter. Do you need a special disconnect tool, and if so which one? Thanks to anyone that is able to help me with this.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:29 AM

The Montero Limited has a recall for the fuel system where the tank requires dropping. They will do this on any Limited. You might check with the dealer and see if this work has been done on your VIN.

If not, have them do the work of dropping the tank etc., then the filter change would be next to nothing.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 PM

MM recalled the fuel tank leveling valve on the NM.
I had mine done years ago. The problem was... when you had the tank full of petrol and the rig in parked on a upward slope, the fuel tank leveling valve may not maintain a proper sealing in the event the fuel expands from the rise in temperature. If it does not seal properly, petrol can leak onto the ground.

As stated above, this would make access to the fuel pump assembly much easier than going in through the cabin floor. (Although, it is not that difficult, just tight working quarters.)
Good Luck