Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

How to replace front rotors on 95? Special Tools?

Old 05-23-2005, 06:45 PM
Default How to replace front rotors on 95? Special Tools?

I am trying to fix a pulsating brake pedal during braking. I replaced both rear rotors and the pads because the rotors were heavily corroded and didn't have enough material left to have them turned. I made the assumption that the uneven surface of the rear rotors was causing the problem. So, now I'm looking into turning or replacing the front rotors. Assuming the front rotors can't be turned, I am trying to find out how to replace the rotors. I think I can handle the job, but I don't have the tool to turn the ring (?) that locks or holds the bearing together. I've tried a couple of parts stores, but they don't know what tool it takes. Does anyone know what tool I need and where to get one?

I've been told the steps are something like:

remove wheel/tire
remove hub cap
remove a steel plate held by 5 -6 bolts
remove snap ring
loosen set screws and remove ring (?) that holds bearing together (two pronged special tool needed here)
remove bearing
remove bolts that hold rotor to spindle
remove rotor
put on new rotor and reverse the process.
repack wheel bearing
torque bearing and misc. bolts (I have the specs)

Does this about cover it, or will there be any surprises?

The first torque valve for seating the bearing is 119 ft.lbs. Is this done with the special tool, or is there a regular nut that is tightened to that value? If it's a regular nut, do you know what size socket to use? I don't have metric sockets that large, so I would need to buy one.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Joe

Old 05-23-2005, 10:48 PM
pc
Default RE: How to replace front rotors on 95? Special Tools?

I hope someone can answer this. My 92 also has the same lock nut. My manual gives the Mitsubishi part number of the tool as a MB990954-01. The tool pictured has two pins but the picture of the lock nut seems to show 4 holes?? I found a company that makes and sells all kinds of hub tools and lock nut wrenches mostly for Ford. One of the Fords shown are 4 pin so I don't know if it would work? Can you cut 2 pins off? Here is the link. http://www.otctools.com/They have a Tech support option that may be able to help you. Mitsubishi may also sell you the tool. Get back here to let us know how you made out. I figured I would have to make my own when it came time to use one.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:31 PM

I made my tool by purchasing the Ford tool and then I ground off two pins. It fit perfectly. I used it on my 90 and my 95 Montero. Most any parts store will sell the Ford tool.

Old 05-24-2005, 08:29 PM
pc

Great Winshawn, do you have the part number or is there just one size for the Ford?
By the way Joeg you will need specific instructions on the assembly and torque settings for the hub and lock nut. If you want them let me know.

Old 06-13-2005, 03:01 PM

Turning the rotors fixed the problem. No more pulsating. I ended up having the job done for me (next paragraph explains why). It cost $243.00 to have the brake system inspected, remove and turn the rotors, replace two seals, re-pack both front wheel bearings, and install new brake pads that I supplied. The shop did one thing I didn't know should be done, they put 'anti-seize' on the back of the shim between the shim and the caliper.

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I had the work done for me because I didn't realize there were any replies to my first post other than the first one by PC. When I submitted the first post, I checked the box 'Notify me via e-mail when someone replies' and made the assumption that I would be notified each time there was a post to the thread. Another lesson about making assumptions. Had I seen the other post about modifing a Ford tool, I could have saved some money. Though I couldn't have made a tool from scratch, I could have removed two pins from a Ford tool.

Also, brand new front rotors are about $65.00 a pair at NAPA. The rear rotors were $64.00 a pair. The rear pads were $35.00 for all four. All the prices are for 'economy' parts. I don't recall what I paid for the front pads because I bought them several years ago. The vehicle has 76k miles on it, and this was the first work done to the front brakes. I replaced the rear pads once before at 52k miles.

Thanks PC and Winshawn for the input.

Joe

Old 06-13-2005, 06:47 PM

Joeg,

Thanks for getting back to us on how it went. Also, thanks for the pricing input on the parts. The price you paid for the work sounds pretty reasonable. Let us know if the "economy" rotors start to pulsate. The one thing that irks me is when I answer some question and then I never hear back. Usually there is some additional tidbit learned with each project. Some people have posted multiple questions and never written back. Hmm. Lets se how much help they get next time.

As far as the particular Ford 4x4 tool number I do not know. I always remember seeing the Ford or the Chevy 4x4 part tool at the parts stores. I keep meaning to measure the distance between the points on the tool, but I keep forgetting. I will try and remember.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:04 PM
pc

Yea, I'd say you got a heck of a deal Joeg! Firedoc posted a break in procedure link for pads and rotors, do a search and see if it will keep the rotors from warping. I looked at my mileage and decided it was time to remove the front hubs and clean and repack the bearings. Will do it some time this summer so I should be able to get back on the tool mods for the lock nut.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the tip on break in procedure. I'll look for it.

Joe

Old 06-27-2005, 11:23 PM

I'm currently in the middle of swapping rotors & pads out on my 00 Montero Sport... I figured I'd post my question here rather than start a new thread. I've made it to this step:

ORIGINAL: joeg

loosen set screws and remove ring (?) that holds bearing together (two pronged special tool needed here)
remove bearing
What is the name for the tool that's needed to remove the ring? I'd imagine the name's the same wether its the Ford tool or Mitsu tool. I'd just like to know what to call it before I ask for it at a parts store. Thanks!

Old 06-28-2005, 09:11 AM
pc

If you mean the snap ring, the tool is snap ring pliers. Some, but not all, of these tools will do internal and external snap rings. I have found the dual type to be too loose in construction to not work very well. You will need to determine if the snap ring is internal or external. If you mean the threaded lock nut, then you could ask for a front hub lock nut removal tool, for lack of any better description. You will probably need to give more than a two word description but the parts guy should be able to figure it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to replace front rotors on 95? Special Tools?