Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

How to replace front rotors on 95? Special Tools?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Default RE: How to replace front rotors on 95? Special Tools?

4x4 front wheel bearing removal tool?

Old 06-28-2005, 01:39 PM
pc

Windshawn, that may indicate a bearing tool not the lock nut tool. The front bearings on my Montero hubs are taper fit so only the inner bearing is held in by the inner seal. Good idea to replace the seals and regrease the bearings as well while your in there though.

Old 06-28-2005, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the replies... I'll see if I can track down the appropriate tools.

Old 07-03-2005, 04:16 PM
pc

This is an up update of this thread.
I have just stated to remove the front hubs to re-pack the front bearings, DS first. I had to trace down the mysterious, "lock nut removal tool". Well I found one that you can adapt quite easily. I bought mine at Advance Auto for $10. It's listed for a 1978 - Current Ford F-series 3/4 - 1 ton or 1973 GM 3/4 - 1 ton 4DW. It's made by a company called AmPro (part # T72047), but there are probably other companies who make this type of tool. I had originally looked at the 1/2 ton model but it is too small in diameter. This tool is actually for a 6 slot lock nut and as you know, the Montero uses a 2 pin tool. To modify you will need an angle grinder, a metel cut-off wheel and grinding wheel and hand file. Use the cut-off wheel to remove 4 of the tabs on the tool, of course be careful to leave two opposite tabs. Use the grinding wheel to grind down the last little bit and use the file to round off the outside edges of the remaining tabs so they will fit into the lock nut holes. That's it. You can use just a grinder but that will take more time and create more heat. Now I found that when it came time to spin off the lock nut I didn't need the tool, it just spun out by hand. I was worried it was too loose so I checked the tightening torque values with the manual. The manual calls for an initial torque of 94-145 ft/lbs, then loosen to zero then re-tighten to 18 ft/lbs and then loosen 30-40 degrees. As well if the lock washer holes do not align with the threaded holes in the lock nut you can move it 20 more degrees, I assume loosen as the picture seems to indicate loosen 20 degrees to the next hole. The final proof of the locknut torque is to use a fish scale and a length of cord that wraps around the hub wheel lugs. Pull the scale to get a value from between 1.1 - 4.0 lbs. of resistance, 2-3 lbs. is going to be about right. So with all that I guess the lock nut was not too loose as it had not been touched since factory. The reason for all this is to squeeze out the grease and seat the bearings, then loosen to establish the correct preload. Another part to this is the snap ring, it's external. It does not have the removal holes as most snap rings have, just beveled edges. I found I could use my snap ring pliers and a screwdriver as a pry to open the snap ring and pry it past the groove. Be careful as these snap rings are hardened and will break if you force them too hard. Also I recommend installing a new inner hub seal. Lastly adjust the axle end play from .016 - .028 using shim kit from Mitsubishi if necessary.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-03-2005, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the part number... My Montero is still in pieces on jack stands; I had gone to a few parts stores with the picture I had taken and this thread printed out, and didn't have any luck finding someone that knew what I was talking about. I was just about ready to put everything back together and take it to JustBrakes. I will try Advance Auto armed with the part number and an even better description.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:38 PM
pc

I found that the lock nut tool can be used to install the front hub seal for the inner bearing. Turn the tool upside down and use a soft mallet to carefully set the flat edge of the seal flush with hub face.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Talking Mine is still on Blocks

ok, my montero is still on jack stands after 2 months.

I am confused. I have been told by others that the abs ring had to be pulled to come off. I am now reading that it turns. Is the gear in the first picture the abs ring, and how do I get it off? I mean break it down...with pics, and maybe even a page from the TSM. lol...i know...I am asking alot.

now, the second picture shows a group of recessed bolts. What are those and how do they come out. I have tried to take them out with a socket, and they just turn. I even used an impact wrench, but it seems that something is holding them. But, there isn't anything visible from the first pic opposite the recessed bolts that I can tell.

your help will be immensely appreciated.

Geno
Name:  DSCN1632.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  157.2 KBName:  DSCN1631.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  188.1 KB

Old 03-19-2012, 07:40 AM
Default Howdy

Originally Posted by Winshawn
I made my tool by purchasing the Ford tool and then I ground off two pins. It fit perfectly. I used it on my 90 and my 95 Montero. Most any parts store will sell the Ford tool.
Winshawn, I have a 2001 montero sport and can not find the locknut wrench for sale anywhere. What was the specific FORD two? So that a can ask for the right thing.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Red face Montero Snap Ring

Ok, I got my SR front Rotor reassembled. But, my problem is that I can't get the snap ring in the groove of the axle. The gap isn't wide enough for the ring to snap into. Any ideas?