Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Ignition coils and spark plugs replaced--still runs terrible

Old 09-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Unhappy Ignition coils and spark plugs replaced--still runs terrible

Hello, I have a 95 Montero SR--250K on it. My car started to run somewhat rough intermittently a couple of months ago. It would act like it was running on 5 cylinders or something and then after a while it would snap out of it and run fine. Then a few weeks ago she went wacko and seemed like it was only running on 3-4 cylinders with low power and I barely made it home. I figured it was spark plug related and proceeded to do the fun job of replacing them and the coils as 2 of the coils tested bad. I putter' back together and she still runs real bad(although a bit better than before), I took it for a short ride and it was almost completely out of power when I came back. I don't know what to do next. Any ideas??

Thanks,
Tim

Old 09-09-2011, 11:09 PM

what is the fuel pressure ???

Old 09-10-2011, 03:57 PM

Are you the original owner? Have you replaced the fuel filter? Are the injectors working when it starts running rough? You can use a piece of tubing and put one end to your ear and the other to the body of the injector and you should hear a "clicking". You can identify a bad injector this way (with the engine running) or else ohm it out when the injector is hot (and the car is not running of course). It could be an injector that is clogged and you need to run some good injector cleaner. Do you have a factory manual from Mitsubishi for your car, and not some aftermarket ones?

Old 09-10-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by mxmikie
what is the fuel pressure ???
like i asked before

Old 09-10-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by _93TSI_370+K_
Are you the original owner? Have you replaced the fuel filter? Are the injectors working when it starts running rough? You can use a piece of tubing and put one end to your ear and the other to the body of the injector and you should hear a "clicking". You can identify a bad injector this way (with the engine running) or else ohm it out when the injector is hot (and the car is not running of course). It could be an injector that is clogged and you need to run some good injector cleaner. Do you have a factory manual from Mitsubishi for your car, and not some aftermarket ones?
on the 3.5 you have to remove the intake manifold to do this