Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

im having a few issues with my 2002 montero full size

Old 07-15-2015, 12:26 PM
Unhappy im having a few issues with my 2002 montero full size

my 2002 montero full size is giving me some issues.

1. my front drivers side door wont close properly and the light on the dash and one the door it self will flicker on and off and when it first happened the door lock would not engage and would immediately unlock itself when locked for the inside using the door mounted button. also alarm wont arm either due to issue with door

2. overheating issues ive have this problem for a while and i know it electrical in nature since the engine does not actully overheat and i already checked with laser thermometer and it reads fine im not sure what to do from here as i have already replaced the water pump and the thermostat. and the guage on the dash will go all the way to maxium temp for the first 10 to 15 minutes of operation the fall the normal operating tempature after that for the rest of the trip sometime and other time it will just stay at the top but apon restarting the car it will read normal sometimes

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:02 PM

You probably need to pull out the door lock out and clean and lube it. If it is truly broken, you may need to look into the salvage yard replacement part.

The false alarm overheating issue is common on Monteros. It is a circuitry malfunction within the gauge cluster. There are several posts here on the forum explaining how to fix it. Replacing water pump and other components will not fix it, since this specific issue is not related to them. You have two options - 1. have dealer replace/fix the gauge cluster for about $800+ or 2. Fix it yourself.
If you decide to go with solution #2, the best resource for a step-by-step instructions is here:
How to fix the faulty temp gauge on a Pajero/Shogun/Montero NM (2001-1003) | Pajero.guru

If you do not feel comfortable soldering the circuit board, find a friend who is and do it together.